flight of fantasy


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
October 24th 2005
Published: October 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

the landscape stretches out for infinity beneath me , the horizon blending into the sky and dissolving into the atmosphere. the terrain stretches out like a living thing - amoebic self propogating irregular cells and swirling ribbons of water and earth- protoplasmic.
untrampled by human feet and untouched by the scarification of civilization the fringes of
the tundra mesmerizes me like a prolific mushroom growing forever defying the limitations of boundaries.
As enchanting as a masterpiece conceived and executd by an unknown abstract expressionist artist
i float as if supported by the folds of clouds that roll beneath the cruising carapace of the 747 . i am tempted to jump, secure in the knowledge that the clouds will catch me and embrace me .
And then, aaagh! suddenly, a straight line- the hand of homo rectilineus - a road cuts a swath across the primal canvas reminding me that just as this behemoth soars across the, sky the presence of man on earth is irrepressible.

the graceful geometry of the earth provides a convenient template for the trajectory of the sublime arc which describes the flight path from detroit to the orient. how wonderful the amicable way in which the earth avails herself to the designs of man ..
and how brillliant the genius of man when he perceives and accords with the way of
mother nature- The Great Circle.

as we proceed along the ascending aspect of the great arc moving north the frozen earth of the tundra appears . meandering streams of frozen ice snaking across a perpetual landscape.
sinuous, looping interstices of ice bisects the fluffy bed of snow that covers the earth beneath.
thin cirrus clouds drift by like flocks of birds . heaven and earth are one here. in the far distant reaches of my vista there is no distinction. i can't tel where one begins and the other ends.
now mountains of ice appear, their edges, slopes and crests lined by the sublime light of the setting sun to the west.the moon grows brighter instant by instant in the arctic blue sky..
soft like a suspended ball of snow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb