First weekend trip: Shanghai!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Xuhui
February 20th 2012
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jin Mao Tower: 87th FloorJin Mao Tower: 87th FloorJin Mao Tower: 87th Floor

This picture doesn't quite do the view justice but you can get an idea of how high we were. The tower over Nick's shoulder is the Oriental Pearl Tower, which is just over 1500 feet!
Nick and I ventured out for our first weekend trip! It was fairly last-minute but we decided to get out to the "big city" and visit our friends in Shanghai. Our friend, Kathleen, was celebrating her 25th birthday so we met up with her and her boyfriend, Jason for dinner.

Nick has been to Shanghai several times, but it was my first time and I was blown away by the city. We took the bullet train from Changzhou to Shanghai which topped at 301 km/h. It was amazing how smooth the ride was, even at that speed. It only took us just under an hour to get to the train station in Shanghai. From the station, we navigated the subway to take us to the Pu River, which splits the city into the financial district on one side and a HUGE shopping street on the other side. After getting a quick bite to eat, we taxied to the Jin Mao Tower which has one of the highest bars in the world. Our elevator ride left us a bit dizzy and our ears popping. We quickly got over it while we enjoyed a few drinks on the 87th floor. Nothing makes you feel classier than drinking a martini, looking down on Shanghai 😊 We were there just as the sun was getting ready to set and the view was spectacular.

From there, we went to the Xuhui district to meet our friends for dinner. Nick went to the University of Arizona with Jason and Kathleen and they all studied here in China together a few years ago. They have since moved back here to Shanghai, and have had a similar experience as we are having with teaching. We had a blast visiting with them and we were able to meet plenty of expats who have moved to China to teach.

The next day we all went to a delicious Chinese brunch and took our time wandering around the city before getting back to Changzhou Sunday night. We even managed to find a bookstore so Nick could get a Chinese cookbook to learn some authentic dishes.

Its back to reality for us now...we had to get back to our "daily grind". I taught three whole hours today and that is one of my longest days. I have to say, life has been pretty good on this side of the
Kathleen's Birthday DinnerKathleen's Birthday DinnerKathleen's Birthday Dinner

We went to a southern comfort food restaurant for dinner and as you can see, Mardi Gras celebration was in full swing!
world.





Until next time,

Lauren

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb