Living the High Life


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Jing'an
June 26th 2012
Published: July 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Portman Ritz Carlton Rm 1911 45 secs
For those of you who have followed our blog, you know we don't "Live the High Life" while we travel. We actually had never even heard of a hostel until we moved to China and were introduced to the website Hostel World. Thanks to Jason & Kathleen, this website helped us stretch our travel budget much further than paying for 2 to 4 star hotels around Asia.



Our last month in China was quite crazy, we decided to treat ourselves to 3 nights at the Portman Ritz Carlton on Nanjing Xi Lu in Shanghai. For those of you that don't know Shanghai very well, this road is like the Fifth Ave of New York City or Rodeo Drive of Beverly Hills. Every designer that you can think of has a shop on this road and there are more Ferrari's, Lambourgini's, Mazerati's and Rolls Royce than I have ever witnessed in my life and I lived in Southern California for 6 years. We were able to stay at this hotel thanks to a friend that works for the Ritz in Lake Tahoe, CA and the fabulous Friends & Family discount. It was exactly what we needed to relax and recharge before going back to the USA.



We had no agenda, we let life happen and went with the flow. I really enjoyed the multiple soft pillows on the bed, which I got to request the type of pillow I wanted when making the reservation online a few days before. I also was able to request the room location by floor and near the eleavator or not. We took advantage of the amazing fitness center, pool area, huge soaking tub and English TV. The little things in life that we have grown to appreciate and not take for granted while living in China.



By the pictures you can tell that we got out and saw some of the city and ate really great food, which is very easy to do in Shanghai. For those of you who haven't traveled to Shanghai, I highly suggest it. It is like no other city on Mainland China or the World for that matter...for those looking for the "Authentic" China well it probably isn't for you, but for Expats living in China it is a great escape and a very livable city.



A few facts about
Tallest Buildings in ChinaTallest Buildings in ChinaTallest Buildings in China

Jin Mao Tower (Left), World Financial Center (Middle) and Shanghai Tower, under construction (Right)
Shanghai from Wikipedia:

"Shanghai is the largest city by population of the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the largest city proper by population in the world. It is one of the fourprovince-level municipalities of the PRC, with a total population of over 23 million as of 2010. It is a global city, with influence in commerce, culture, finance, media, fashion, technology, and transport. It is a major financial center and the busiest container portin the world."



Until Next Time Shanghai, We Love You!







Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Renderings of Shanghai Tower (left)Renderings of Shanghai Tower (left)
Renderings of Shanghai Tower (left)

newest tallest skyscraper in China, a new skyscraper opens EVERY 8 days in China.
Portman Ritz Carlton LobbyPortman Ritz Carlton Lobby
Portman Ritz Carlton Lobby

located on Nanjing Xi Lu (West Nanjing Rd)


4th July 2012

living the life!
if China could just figure out the smog problem...these pictures would be really great! It is like you used a filter on your camera!
5th July 2012

Awesome!
Loved the video of the room, so glad you guys got to relax - and in such a beautiful place! Looks like a beer, too! Bet that helped :)

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb