Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Qufu
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Qufu
Latest Blogs from Qufu
- January 12th 2012 ReissuVihko
by Words: 990 Photos: 13
- August 13th 2011 Its like a Bamboo Ikea
by Words: 712 Photos: 0
- June 16th 2011 Shaolin Wushu (...or a day in the life of...)
by Words: 716 Photos: 49
- April 30th 2011 Do or do not....
by Words: 556 Photos: 13
- January 12th 2009 Heart and Hub: 3 weeks on board.
by Words: 791 Photos: 9
- December 19th 2008 Qu Fu
by Words: 1 Photos: 55
- September 25th 2007 Die Chinesen sehen alle gleich aus!
by Words: 43 Photos: 4