Changbaishan National Park


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jilin » Changbai Shan
June 16th 2010
Published: June 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Heaven LakeHeaven LakeHeaven Lake

North Korea to the left
We travelled through lovely countryside full of rolling forests to arrive in Baihe from Tonhgua.Baihe would be our base for exploring the Changbaishan National Park famous for Heaven Lake which shares its border of Korea and is at 2100 m and 373m deep, and supposedly has a monster like our Loch Ness!. The town is about 20km from the nearest Park gate and is the closest town to the park,which is 240,000 Hectares. We were only going to stay 3 nights but had to settle for 5 nights 6 days as we couldn't get a sleeper ticket out until the 16th because its the Dragon Boat Festival in China this week and everyone takes 3 days off.Our digs for the stay was at the Woodlands Youth Hostel which has been very enjoyable.The familiy that runs the hostel couldn't have been kinder and we met many other travellers mostly students from china.Its very close to Korea here,so we have been eating some delicious local food at the hostel and in town.
The CNP charge for entry at the gate, then for a bus to the base of the mountain,then depending which gate you take another fee for a 4x4 to the summit! all very expensive for the day,half our budget. There is no hiking or camping allowed, you can only walk on the boardwalks etc. A very very controlled NP,computers count in then out, there are 3 entrances in Jilin North,West and South gates, we didn't do the south. Nevertheless this Park has been one of our highlights of china so far,breathtaking views,fresh air and friendly locals with good food and exercise.Enjoy the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Chinese SquirrelChinese Squirrel
Chinese Squirrel

Couldn't understand him
Stars we wereStars we were
Stars we were

Students were smittened by L's white skin and highland looks.
On the road to West sideOn the road to West side
On the road to West side

I got front seat as my legs were too long for the normal seats!
Photo ShopPhoto Shop
Photo Shop

Printing photos at 2697m
Woodland Youth HostelWoodland Youth Hostel
Woodland Youth Hostel

Rear with restaurant and veg patch
Our friendsOur friends
Our friends

They were staying at the hostel so we teamed up for the day and eventually ended up at a restaurant eating a huge korean bbq.
Drinking rice liquer with men we met on the way upDrinking rice liquer with men we met on the way up
Drinking rice liquer with men we met on the way up

We were given eggs ,gherkins and offered chicken a tin of beer and the liquer,rude to say no.
Final ascent done by 4x4Final ascent done by 4x4
Final ascent done by 4x4

North summit of the Changbaishang. The drivers drove as if it was a WCR.


28th December 2010

need more information
Lovely photo! Are you staying in the same hostel for the whole trip? So you are entering the park from north gate and west gate, you need to pay for 2 entrances fee? Can't you go in from North and out from West? How do you travel to the gate? How long to north and to west and how much?

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb