Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from Zhenjiang
Latest Blogs from Zhenjiang
- October 29th 2012 镇江 Zhenjiang Day Trip
by Words: 647 Photos: 3
- September 17th 2012 my first day in China
by Words: 573 Photos: 0
- July 9th 2012 The Adventures Continue!
by Words: 1657 Photos: 23
- July 9th 2012 Our Misadventures in China. . .
by Words: 1410 Photos: 0
- June 30th 2012 Zhenjiang!
by Words: 1048 Photos: 28
- June 19th 2012 Getting Ready for China!
by Words: 62 Photos: 1
- June 19th 2012 Our First Preparation Meeting!
by Words: 15 Photos: 1
- June 19th 2012 Tea & Two Nights to Go!
by Words: 111 Photos: 4
- May 28th 2012 COUNTDOWN TO CHINA!!!!
by Words: 5 Photos: 0
- April 7th 2012 From Tempe to China!!!
by Words: 1 Photos: 0
- June 5th 2011 The World Tour starts here
by Words: 1314 Photos: 8
- April 15th 2011 Weapons cache discovered at school
by Words: 1245 Photos: 22
- May 1st 2009 MiDi Modern Music Festival
by Words: 973 Photos: 7
- July 10th 2008 Moving!
by Words: 55 Photos: 0
- July 7th 2008 Blog Problems
by Words: 72 Photos: 0
- June 25th 2008 My Abode!
by Words: 20 Photos: 13
- June 25th 2008 Beigushan
by Words: 59 Photos: 25
- June 24th 2008 I Went To Italy...
by Words: 30 Photos: 9
- June 23rd 2008 Pitaya Let Down
by Words: 86 Photos: 3
- June 23rd 2008 Happy 21 To Me
by Words: 77 Photos: 3