Class Trip with the English Club...


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Danyang
May 24th 2009
Published: May 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Along with the sixteen classes I teach each week here at my high school (55 kids per class = around 960 kids), I agreed to also teach an additional two classes on Wednesday afternoons for a group of bright, motivated kids for an English Club (EC). They asked Jenny to help me (thankfully!) so we both get together and teach thirty-two of the top English speaking students at my school and we really e... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Still Young...Still Young...
Still Young...

Jenny again, doing the culturally-correct girl-smile...she's sitting on an antique Qing Dynasty chair which makes her all the more pristine and innocent, yes??
How to conquer the world...How to conquer the world...
How to conquer the world...

Your friendly author, sitting for a spell and entertaining the throngs of students who like to polish my bald noggin'...I too am sitting and contemplating in a Qing Dynasty chair and it was definitely much easier to contemplate conquering armies around the lands in that chair...
Beautiful Boat Worker...Beautiful Boat Worker...
Beautiful Boat Worker...

At first she completely ignored my attempts to take her picture, so I got one of my students to ask her for a quick snap and she happily obliged...she will serve you a delicious meal as you float around the lake on one of these pleasure boats...
Traditional dress...Traditional dress...
Traditional dress...

This couple was dressed in traditional period clothing and would ham it up in any pose you asked for, and they didn't even charge any money...amazing.
City Model in Yangzhou MuseumCity Model in Yangzhou Museum
City Model in Yangzhou Museum

This is a just a partial view of an incredible detailed model of the entire city of Yangzhou...it was about a 100 x 100 feet....
Living legends...Living legends...
Living legends...

The Chinese love to use these life-like statues in exhibits, I love em' too...The Emperor here is getting some sort of news..probably bad...
Fat lady print...Fat lady print...
Fat lady print...

This print was over in a corner sort of out of the way and I really like it, the color and detail were beautiful...notice her feet are bound, but she's still smiling...hmmmmm...
Woodworking in MuseumWoodworking in Museum
Woodworking in Museum

This guy sits at a counter all day carving these wood blocks so they can be used for etched prints...the detail was impossible to believe and even harder to show in a picture, let's just say the dude is Talented!!, along with the patience of a saint...
Ari Who?Ari Who?
Ari Who?

This is Jenny giving a high-five to Aristotle in an exhibit that had the three major thinkers in history - Aristotle, Buddha, and Confucius together...
Rinyun suspension bridge...Rinyun suspension bridge...
Rinyun suspension bridge...

This is the largest suspension bridge in China, third largest in the world...uh, yea, it's big...over 800 ft. high in some places...
Deng XiaopingDeng Xiaoping
Deng Xiaoping

This is their last President, Deng Xiaoping, who is originally from Yangzhou and had the idea not only to build the bridge but to bring the construction to his home city...$$$$$$
Between a rock and a...Between a rock and a...
Between a rock and a...

Somehow Jenny managed to get separated from our group and got stuck in this rock...Juan felt awful about it the rest of the day...:(
Karaoke on the bus...Karaoke on the bus...
Karaoke on the bus...

You won't find another group of folks who love to sing more than the Chinese...they sing their hearts out in school, on buses, in their karaoke bars called KTV's...Jenny and I got them started and they sang for the entire hour back home...



6th August 2009

Hats?
Sean, I have noticed in many of the photo's of your students, they all seem to (at one time or another) to be wearing white and blue ball caps. I am assuming that these would be the school colors (like their wind breakers). Is this correct?

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb