Kubuqi desert trip #2


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Inner Mongolia » Baotou
June 1st 2010
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

7 star lake, Kubuqi desert

7 star lake, Kubuqi desert

7 star lake, a new tourist destination near Baotou, funded and built by one of Inner Mongolia's largest resource companies, was our destination for the day. We set out at 07:00 in the morning, heading south out of Kunqu into the country side. It was an overcast day, and a strong wind was blowing but that didn't temper the festive mood. With karaoke and a bag the size of a small stadium filled with sweet bread that served as breakfast, we soon arrived at the low bridge crossing a narrow section of the Yellow River.
Been told to get out, we took the opportunity to take some pictures and hang our asses out of the windows of old boats moored at the bridge. The road wometimes broke up and changed into a proper dirt road including pot holes, passing an old temple and hill with a statue of Zhaojun on it. (see my blogs on Hohhot) More singing and other performences made the 4 hour trip a bit more bearable and the time pass quicker. A game of wordchain with any words relating to the topic of sex made it even more enjoyable.
Passing many of the same little villages with mudbrick houses, a few cows, goats and sheep here and there, the road continued south of the highway between Baotou and Bayannur heading west. Unfortunately our road was far worse than that highway, which made progress slow. But, as the bus driver insisted, there was no way we could take that highway, or we would not get to our destination; the west end of teh Kubuqi desert, the 7th largest desert in China.

We finally arrived just past noon, having passed two large lakes already. The final and largest of the three, 7 star lake, appeared surrounded by dunes on all sides. Now, to be fairly honest with you, with the weather not being the best, and with an ass that hurt from driving along bumpy roads for 4 hours, the 'magic' of the place somehow was missing somewhat. To quote a china tourist attractions website;

Desert eco-tourism area, here is full of sand, Qifeng Song Stubbs, Central legislation such as the visually impaired, there are lakes, blue ripples, tranquil and beautiful. God, in as much as 30 meters of sand Yamashita, 3-meter-high reeds Wang Dang locked a clear water, the lake unpredictable, golden sand and azure lake

formed a strong contrast to the sanctity of people, the magic feeling.

.... the magic feeling somehow got lost or blew right past me coz I wasn't feeling it for sure.

Two large buildings have been constructed next to the lake, one being a hotel, and the stepped dome being a restaurant with large extravagant conference rooms with a view. Lunch was consumed inside the latter, in its super size restaurant on the ground floor.
With beers to swallow it all down, and top class sigarettes to give it an extra smokey flavour, it gave us the needed energy and stamina for the afternoon's 'activities'. Unfortunately, no activities to speak of were planned, so instead we just walked around the lake a bit and wondered of into the desert. It was kerstin who notified me of the lizard. Although fast, I managed to get a few good pictures of it before it scurried of. Many dunes have been covered in a grid of dead reed, preventing the the dunes from wind ersosion and the sand from spreading, with that the spread of further desertification, a problem in Inner Mongolia province.
Although these dunes had a fair bit of growth on them, deep rooted bushes and even trees, the overall impression was one of a proper desert, the one that fills every orifice of your body with sand (and your shoes).

With the Chinese staff playing games, we spend the remaining time at the edge of the lake discussing the differences between cultures and fishing shoes out of the lake that dropped in there while people were trying to empty them from their sandy contents.
Happy to board the bus back to the city, it was after a kilometer or two, at the other side of the lake, that the bus stopped again and everybosy was asked to climb the highest sand dune in the vicinity to slide down after reaching the top. Most obediently did so, some of us thanked and opted for drinking another beer at the lake side instead. It was nearing 5 in the afternoon, when the bus was on its way again. Not having to ask for directions this time (on the way there, the bus driver obviously had gotten lost) and staying on the bus when we crossed the Yellow river on the way back, it was only 3 hours this time and so an 8 o'clcok arrival welcomed us back into the city. Succesful enough, I'm sure it's a nice place to visit, especially if you have more time and don't have to drive 7 hours in one day to get there. You could even decide on renting one of the yurts around the lake or even better, one of the fantastic cottages for rent.
I'm sure you could have a few nice relaxing days there, exploring the desert and the lake or just enjoying the quiet.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Kubuqi desertKubuqi desert
Kubuqi desert

With hotel and restaurant on the left
Ridin' a lionRidin' a lion
Ridin' a lion

These lions, made of natural stone, were randomly positioned amongst the reeds


1st June 2010

Congratulations
Congrats, Johan on the first blog of yours to make it to the front page! Well deserved and well done! Hope there will be a lot to follow!
5th June 2010

Very beautiful
Hi,Johan.I am Michael.Iam reading your blog now. It is very interesting but l cann't understand some part of it.Hope you enjoy yourself
10th June 2010
Kerstin being sand-blown

Schitterende foto!! have fun in Korea!
29th March 2011
Yurts for rent

Yurts to rent in China
I am helping my daughter who lives in China locate a yurt to rent for an event in Beijing and I am wondering if you could help as she is fining it difficult to find somebody who can supply a yurt in Beijing. Would be grateful for your help. If you want to contact her on her email it is antonia.lyne@googlemail.com With thanks, Gabbie Lyne

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb