China Trip: Traffic


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hubei » Wuhan
October 19th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thanks to Catherine's Dad's heroic driving we've been able to get around the city pretty well. But I would be lying if I told you I wasn't just a bit terrified of the daily commute. Last time we were here in early 2009 the traffic was really bad. Now it is definitely horrendous! Wuhan's been developing at such a break-neck pace that it's transportation system hasn't been able to keep up so the roads are clogged with cars, buses and black smoke belching transport trucks. It's really kind of hard to describe what driving is like in China so I'll try to sum it up by giving you what seems to be the unofficial "rules" of the road:

1. There are no rules, just drive however you want.
2. Red lights are only a suggestion for you to stop.
3. Lanes are meaningless, use up 2 if you don't like anyone to pass you.
4. It's ok to cut someone off as long as your car is slightly ahead of theirs since checking a blind spot is impossible.
5. You're considered a good driver if you can drive within a few inches of other cars and come away unscathed.
6. The more cars you can fit into 1 lane the better.
7. If one side of the road is jammed with cars, try crossing the yellow line and use the other side!
8. Cars have the absolute right of way, even in crosswalks when pedestrians have a walking sign.
9. Pedestrians have the right of way only if they are in a group of 10 or more.
10. Seat belts are for cowads (besides, the ones I've tried to use were filthy anyway).

On a serious note the driving situation seems to be this way due to the sheer number of people and lack of infrastructure to support so many new cars. You basically have to fight through traffic any way you can because nobody will just let you go unless you make your own path. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. Traffic police really can't stop all the violations because there just isn't any room to pull someone over and traffic would be backed up for miles.

Surprisingly, I am starting to get used to all the near-miss head on collisions. I suppose it really makes one feel alive when you have to deal with such an intense journey every day. That's all I have time to talk about for now. Tomorrow we go to Wudang Mountain which is an ancient temple complex high in the Mountains where monks still practice Taoism and Taichi or Wushu. Should be very interesting.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb