Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Zhaoxing
Blogs from Zhaoxing
Latest Blogs from Zhaoxing
- February 16th 2013 We loved Zhoaxing!!!
by Words: 2622 Photos: 36
- April 21st 2012 Wonderful Zhaoxing, and Basha
by Words: 1666 Photos: 51
- April 11th 2011 When in Rome do as the Romans? No thanks
by Words: 1358 Photos: 54
- December 9th 2008 Tourism to The Rescue?
by Words: 3515 Photos: 80
- April 13th 2008 Zhaoxing (Dingu Shan)
by Words: 134 Photos: 3
- April 12th 2008 Guangzhou to Zhaoxing
by Words: 310 Photos: 0
- December 13th 2007 Zhaoxing - Part of the Dong Family in Tang an
by Words: 1396 Photos: 59
- October 10th 2007 The Dong show
by Words: 443 Photos: 42
- September 30th 2007 Rongjian en Zhaoxing
by Words: 902 Photos: 5
- February 20th 2007 Van Zhaoxing naar Liping.
by Words: 561 Photos: 3
- February 19th 2007 Opmerkelijke nieuwjaarsdag in Zhaoxing.
by Words: 979 Photos: 15
- February 18th 2007 Een drukke nieuwjaarsdag in Zhaoxing.
by Words: 1507 Photos: 14
- February 17th 2007 Oudejaarsdag in Zhaoxing.
by Words: 1075 Photos: 12
- February 16th 2007 Uitstap naar Longtu en wandeling naar Ji Tang.
by Words: 660 Photos: 7
- February 15th 2007 Uitstap naar Diping met 'mooiste en grootste' regen- en windbrug van de streek.
by Words: 586 Photos: 5
- February 14th 2007 Prachtige wandeling naar Tang'an en verassende ontmoetingen daar.
by Words: 1417 Photos: 14
- February 13th 2007 Feestelijke opening van het toeristisch seizoen van de landelijke gebieden van Guizhou in Zhaoxing.
by Words: 1795 Photos: 15
- February 12th 2007 Naar Zhaoxing.
by Words: 1297 Photos: 12