Day 25 – The 1,000 Family Miao Village


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guizhou » Xijiang
April 24th 2012
Published: April 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was truly a special treat. As fate would have it, the Kaili Ethnic Minority Museum was closed for refurbishing. Leaving Kaili we headed into the mountains to visit the secluded 1,000 Family Miao Village. Access to the village required some real off roading, but fortunately we befriended a govt official who allowed us to drive through the villagers entrance to this magical place. If you ever visit China and could only see one place, I would choose this village. I could easily spend a week here, chilling out with the warm Miao villagers. The Miao women are known for their spectacular costumes and headdresses. Their houses and bridges were very intricate in design compared to the Baima, Naxi, Yi and Mosuo and Bai ethnic minorities we had encountered. And this village of just over 1,000 families was a welcome oasis of culture and beauty, managing to elude the throngs of tourists due to it’s isolation from the world. Yet another highlight, I am sure I will come back someday to spend more time amongst the wonderful Miao.

Reluctantly we left the Miao village and headed through the mountains to Rongjiang.

On the way we stopped by a roadside celebration for the birth of a daughter. The Yao ethnic minority townsfolk invited us to join the celebrations, and how could we refuse. We were sat at the roadside table with one inch benches with whom I guess was the leader of the group, and they kindly offered us a small feast of foods and what seemed like homemade rice wine. Kudos to Sinclair, who, when offered a pigs toe to chew on, graciously accepted and chowed down. We offered them the traditional Hongbao, and in return they gave us gifts of yogurt drinks and red eggs.

Nearly 7:00pm, we said our farewells and started off down the road to Rongjiang. This stretch of road was truly off roading conditions and in pitch black, so we finally arrived at our digs for the night at 10:00pm.

Exhausted but truly honoured.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



26th April 2012

beautiful
original and beautiful!
27th April 2012

Thanks.
Amazing trip. You might want to join the next one !
26th April 2012
Miao ladies

Beautiful places Produce Beautiful Photo...
Nice Photo... can feel the warmness and beautiful culture resounding it... This is a must destination for me. TQ

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb