Ni Hao!!!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Yangshuo
March 31st 2011
Published: March 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Interesting Fact Number One: Even though China's mammoth land mass can cover over five time zones, they actually just use ONE.

Interesting Fact Number Two: There are 1.3 BILLION people here.

Interesting Fact Number Three: They have 3240 TV broadcast stations...eat that CBC!!!

And so, I have entered that mysterious land that I used to be so fascinated by as a child. I used to read the Golden Encyclopedia Brittanica over and over, mulling over a wide variety of facts and legends about the land of Ghengis Khan and Confuscius. China was this allusive figure that I was dying to meet...in my everyday existence of "Chinatowns", "Chinese Food" and that classic gym teacher game of "The Great Wall of China". Economically speaking, we now know it is the most powerful in the world having recently surpassed Japan with that title. Who knows what other "accolades" lie ahead for this massive country?

With a one hour Metro train ride from Hong Kong to the border of Mainland China, followed by a 13 hour train trip from Shenzhen to Guilin City, followed by yet another hour long bus ride...I now find myself in Yangshuo. It is the perfect way to begin this journey because I have seen so many paintings (as have you I am certain) depicting the Chinese landscape with a gentle river surrounded by large, curved mountains shrouded in a mysterious veil of mist. So, when I was face to face with these graceful "sculptures" I had suddenly realized that I had been magically transported into one of those paintings!

Scientifically speaking, they are monoliths of limestone formed millions of years ago by tectonic plate movements. The jade colour of the water is quite mesmerizing as our boat sailed up and down the Li River guided by these gentle creatures. It was a perfect day...some mist, some light and lucky for us, quite silent as the main tourist season has yet to begin.

Tonight, we were treated to a mesmerizing show that has been staged ON the lake with over 600 performers. The director of the show is Zhang Yimou, who also directed the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. Suddenly, light itself became a performer tonight and was able to "translate" the story of this rich country so beautifully to the thousands of people in attendance. The precision and direction of such a massive cast is a testament to the talents and perfectionism which we often associate with China. There are no language barriers when art can touch your soul and tonight was no exception.

The town itself is quite charming with fascinating little alleyways and street decorations beckoning us into various shops and restaurants. Foreign tourism only began in this particular city in 1978 and they have done quite well as every cafe offers frothy cappuccino's and delicious lemon cheesecake should you require a respite from the traditional fare of noodles, meats and vegetables. (Needless to say, I require daily respites!).

We rode bicycles through the countryside today and I am fascinated by the rural and seemingly primitive means of existence that take place outside the confines of the city. Simple tools, simple shelter and the the amazing dependence on the water buffalo for farming...a few kilometres away and I am beckoned to come dance in the madness of the "B" and "G"... "Boys and Girls Club"!

China, I can see wears many masks. And as this trip continues to strip them away one by one, I am hopeful to get "inside" and learn once and for all, who this mysterious figure has been for most of my life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



2nd April 2011
History Comes to Light

Wonderful Picture Kevin. Glad to hear all is well.
2nd April 2011
The Last Emperor (or is it Empress?)

OH do I see a munity of the Dong Empire???? Cool your highness!
3rd April 2011

Ni Hao!!!
Oh this is so intriguing . I am also mesmerized by it all ! And the pictures are most exquisite. Thanks for sharing them. I am thrilled you are experiencing all sides of life here. (glad too that when the need arises you can have a nice cappuccino and cheesecake lol) A trip never to be forgotton for sure. I am tickled by it all. Thanks again, keep up the writing, you bring us to China with your gift of writing & excellent photography. (like I said Dad would be so proud and painting them)

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb