Day 145: Macau, Macau and overnight train to Yangshuo, China.


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Yangshuo
April 21st 2010
Published: May 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 145: Wednesday, April 21st, 2010.
Macau, Macau to overnight train to Yangshuo, China.

Per Intrepid notes, "On the early afternoon of day 3 we take a public bus to the Macau/China border and then onto Guangzhou (approx. 3 hrs) for our overnight train to Guilin (approx. 11 hrs). 

Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious but it is certainly one of the best ways to come face to face with the country and its people as it is the main form of transport for locals. We use hard sleeper class trains for most of our overnight train journeys. These are not as rough as they sound - compartments are open-plan, clean, with padded three tiered berths (6 to a compartment), sheets, pillows and a blanket provided. Safe hot drinking water is always available for making coffee, tea or instant meals. Basic bathroom facilities are situated at the end of each carriage with toilets and washbasins. Most trains have a dining carriage where meals are available three times a day, and there are often snacks available on the train along the way."

So we headed out of the hotel and walked about 5 minutes in the heat and humidity. Then, waited by the bus stop for about 5 minutes while Jerry fought with the bus people. It seems that he made a reservation but they didn't put it into the computer. So, there was a delay of about 20 minutes of getting us transportation. Luckily we were able to wait in air conditioning so no big deal. So bus trip to the train and it is basic- there are 6 bunks in a compartment and it is friggin' crowded. I'm in a room with 3 locals, Amavalis and Jerry. The other 6 are in the next compartment. All of us (except for Steve and Jerry) hid out in the dining car until lights out. Plus, Sue found out a lovely trick! While we weren't first class, there was a first class coach 2 cars over from ours. We had squat toilets, they had western seat ones- yea!!!! You still had to clean the hell out of the seat before even thinking about sitting on it- but no more balancing on a moving train (so not easy to do, and let me add some TMI for you but women you haven't lived 'til it's "that time of the month" and your only option is a squat toilet. Joy. You may now hit "unsubscribe" to my blog if you so wish.) So, typical train night for me- very little sleep. I hate trains.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb