Longji Rice Terraces - Dazhai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Dazhai
September 5th 2011
Published: October 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Flowers in Guilin was a good hostel with excellent value single rooms with shared bathroom (around 6 pounds) and a pleasant communual area to chill out in. The weekend in Guilin was relaxing with lots of sightseeing coupled with a day of Admin (laundry, internet, planning trip etc). On Monday 5th September I headed up to Dhazi, again with the help of staff at the hostel who phoned the private bus company for me and booked me a seat for 80 Yuan (8 pounds) for the 2 ½ hour journey.
Located in Longsheng County, the Longji Rice Terraces are about 100 km (2 hours drive) from Guilin. The most popular are Ping An Rice Terrace and Jinkeng Rice Terrace. History of Longji Rice Terrace can be dating back to Yuan Dynasty, but most of the Rice Terraces were built during the Ming Dynasty, about 500 years ago. As the rice terraces resemble a dragon's scales, while the summit of the mountain range looks like the backbone of the dragon, so called Dragon- back Rice Terrace. You can see the dragon's backbone twisting off into the distance while standing on the top of the mountain.
On arrival at Dhazi you are greeted by many local people dressed in their traditional Zhuang ethnic clothes. I really reminded me of Sapa in Vietnam from my previous trip in 2008. They had similar accents when they spoke and were very friendly and smiley. I aimed for a guest house high up in the village for the views and wasn’t disappointed. The sunset was magnificent and the location was so quite compared to the previous couple of weeks in Beijing, Xian and Chengdu. Dinner didn’t quite go according to plan I ordered Chicken from the guesthouse menu and 20 minutes later a cut up boiled whole chicken came out feet and everything!! Most of it went to the dogs but at least I had some rice to eat!! The next day I hired a guide and we hiked to Ping An it was beautiful walking amongst the hills with the morning sunlight reflecting off the water on the terraces.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb