Plays Week! Edition #6


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
April 19th 2013
Published: May 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

They brought me balloons!They brought me balloons!They brought me balloons!

Well, they stole them and brought them as a peace offering because they were late. Then they popped four of them as "gun shots" during one of the plays.
My favorite week of the term! Student groups write plays, not for themselves, but for another group in the class. The next week they practice and perform. Here are my favorites of the term:



One group did a quick rewrite to include a student who'd been absent last week. They decided he was Garlic (the vegetable) and was responsible for all the problems two couples were having (where one half of each liked garlic and the other thought it was smelly). Then in the end he pleaded with them to not eat him because he wanted to live.A pair of crossed lovers made more interested because the actors thought it was dull. They switched a male and female students but kept the roles the same. So the tallest guy in the class was playing a woman, complete with high-pitched voice and trying to rest her head on her boyfriend's shoulder (who was a head shorter than "her"). A student kept trying to enter the scene at the wrong time. Did
#1#1#1

I warned some of my lazier students of the perils of using a computer to translate Chinese to English, rather than using the four brains of the group members to write in English during class time. They didn't believe me.
this three times, and then missed his actual cue.





Girl: Yes, I want to marry you. But first I need to ask my parents blessing.Boy (horrified): WHY???? ... oh, me too.Last week, I discovered one group was writing a story about 4 princes who were all in love with the same princess of a far away land. The plot they'd been given was "someone dies." The princess was named Kris. I was clearly worried.

So this week we watch the story of the 4 princes and the beautiful princess Kris that ends in death... After much boasting and bragging between them, one prince poisoned the other three so he could marry the princess. Then he felt bad and tried to make an antidote and died by accident.

The important thing is that the beautiful princess Kris didn't die.



A five-way love mess
#2#2#2

They didn't understand what was wrong with it. "It has no meaning!" only brought confused looks.
including two people who unknowingly shared the same father.Two college roommates meet many years later with their wives. One wife accuses the other wife of having an affair with her husband. There's a cat fight, complete with hair pulling. In reality, it's the two men who are in love.
Two fallen angels try to trick a demon into being bad and killing a man. But the demon is really the King of Hell and the fallen angels bad deeds get them sucked into hell. Dramatic resistance on their part.

Two best friends fall in love with the same guy. He buys them both presents and leads them on. They fight. Then he tells another woman he's in love with her. She pretends to believe him, but then has the best friends come and attack him. He flees and then all run off together.





Two handsome men, Joe and Lala, were both dating
#3#3#3

Had I not forced them to do it themselves (wasting a lot of time), and then seen it acted out, I would have no idea what any of this meant. My Chinglish skills aren't quite that creative, er, good.
beautiful women for a long time. But they had a secret. They were really in love. The women were furious. While Joe and Lala acted out the best fake kiss I've seen, the women were getting angry.... then the men went to a hotel (don't ask) and a third woman told both ladies that there are lots of other men out there and that they'd find someone better. Both women were surprised but enthusiastic to go out and find them immediately.



Yellow was a bad man. He was dating one woman while he was planning a wedding with another. The woman he was dating found out and hired a hit woman to kill him. She was a good shot. The world's worst doctor apathetically said he had just a few minutes to live. Yellow died and the two women congratulated each other on a job well done.



4 girls, two couples, a secret love affair, and more "kissing" than I've ever seen, executed beautifully. Clearly, this was written by horny, teenage boys.



A take-off of the Power Puff Girls, a monster attacks a victim(constantly "hitting" her) and two Superwomen try to
#4#4#4

After a dramatic reading with a friend, we decided this would be great slam poetry.
save her with magic, flying balls of who knows what, "flying students" and kung fu. They finally win.

Three girls go to a bar. One has a boyfriend, but she treats him badly. All three hit on the bartender, who is unimpressed by all of them. The boyfriend drowns his sorrows in whisky, complains he doesn't understand women, and gets drunk and starts hitting on the bartender. This happens twice. Later, we see the bartender and boyfriend hand in hand. Jealous chaos ensues. Then the girls leave the men in peace and run off--giggling--in search of other men.

3 boys treat a fourth poorly, almost like a male Cinderella. At one point they ordered him to go get them some water. They'd forgotten to bring a bottle, so one of the writers threw him one ... and accidentally hit in square in the head with it. He then pretended to spit in it before giving it to the mean boy. One night, they invite him to play poker because they need a fourth person. They win and make fun of him. He shoots them all, popping balloons for sound effects.

3 girls argue over their favorite boy band. Great banter. Along comes another, whom they say they hate, but when the other one has a new movie with lots of handsome boys in it, they want to watch it with her. Lots of flattery for the new girl and pushing and shoving amongst the others to see the small screen. They are now friends for life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.649s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 78; dbt: 0.5772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb