Back in China - Gulang Yu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Fujian » Xiamen » Gulangyu
January 20th 2006
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Gulang Yu - 12th Jan 2006

So we have fiiiiiinally left Hong Kong and as a complete change of scene we decided our first stop would be the tiny island of Gulang Yu, just off the south east coast. We caught a ferry from the town of Xiamen (a nice place where you can get some tasty snacks!) and after about 10 minutes we found ourselves on a rather charming and very very quiet island. The lack of noise is due to the ban of all vehicles; apart from some golf buggies which are used to get from one end of the island to another. For the most part, the joy of Gulang Yu is found by just wandering around the island and getting lost in the small back streets and strolling along the pretty harbour. In fact I was inspired enough by the scenery to even attempt some arty black and white shots!

It was really nice to be back in China and once again we have become something of a curiousity. In fact, we are even more interesting to the locals here than we were in south west China and we are quickly getting used to lots of calls of "hello" followed by shy giggles or sometimes blantant stares or even just hearty laughter. I've certainly never been this amusing before and I'm not even trying!

Mostly we zenned our way around the island but we did purposely stop in at the aquarium and we caught the daily seal/sea lion show. I'm not sure quite how I feel about these kind of performances but the animals looked happy and healthy. We also went up to Sunlight Rock, which is the highest point on the island (although our view of the mainland was fairly hazy) and we took the very scary cable car over to the massive aviary where we got to wonder around with the peacocks and parrots etc. Despite trying to get out of it we also had to get the cable car back, which gave the Chinese catching a car the other way the opportunity to take our photo from accross the wires and to shout over to us in Chinese! It's great being a minor celebrity but I still find it funny that we get talked (shouted) at a lot in Chinese and are expected to understand every word. Although what's stranger still are the times when we randomly do understand!

It's been such a complete change from the busy streets of Hong Kong and in the 2 1/2 days we were there I've grown very fond of the Gulang Yu. It's certainly one of my favourite places in China so far but it is now time to leave.

The next part of our journey will take us up the east coast towards Shanghai, supposedly this will be a fairly expensive part of our Chinese journey but having just spent so mich time in Hong Kong at the moment it is just such a relief to be back to Chinese prices!



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Old men play cards in the parkOld men play cards in the park
Old men play cards in the park

This is a common sight all over China, groups of men play cards or Marjong or Chinese Chess in the park whilst their mates stand around watching..


25th January 2006

still wow!
Hi kate! well, what can i say? All i can think is wow still! ( not like me to be a little lost for words either!) All of it sounds fab. really enjoying your entries. Jen and I thought it would be funny to tell you this next bit so here we are...I had a dream that you and will arrived back early from your travelling the other night (when i had passed out on your sisters setee!!)In my dream apparently you had a speech impediment and Will kept on correcting your words which promptly got on your nerves, and so you headed back home!!!! ( maybe had to be there top find it oh so funny!!). Hope you keep on enjoying your time travelling kate! Lots of love Lisaxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 79; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb