Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from Harbin
Latest Blogs from Harbin
- June 5th 2007 Harbin to Changchun
by Words: 355 Photos: 30
- June 4th 2007 Jinbro Lake to Harbin
by Words: 449 Photos: 19
- February 6th 2007 Harbin - Ice Tea on the rocks!
by Words: 1080 Photos: 20
- February 4th 2007 Tiger tiger burning bright...
by Words: 594 Photos: 8
- February 4th 2007 The Ice Lantern Festival and Skiing
by Words: 495 Photos: 10
- February 3rd 2007 Harbin - Praktische informatie
by Words: 1543 Photos: 0
- August 14th 2006 Oh aren't they beautiful?
by Words: 1701 Photos: 13
- July 1st 2006 The Road to Russia pt1
by Words: 485 Photos: 0
- June 11th 2006 Harbin
by Words: 412 Photos: 2
- April 1st 2006 China...
by Words: 515 Photos: 19
- April 1st 2006 Nachtrag
by Words: 265 Photos: 5
- March 16th 2006 Harbin Stories
by Words: 1741 Photos: 0
- March 16th 2006 A Word is a Whole World
by Words: 968 Photos: 1
- July 31st 2004 A Memory
by Words: 309 Photos: 0