The Best of Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
March 12th 2005
Published: February 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our Journey Through China

Beijing, Xian, Guilin, and Shanghai

China was an experience that definitely changed our lives! By far, it was our “boldest” vacation yet. We went on a guided tour because we were hesitant to try it on our own. What we found was a country that was filled with warm and wonderful people and a deep history.

We arrived in Beijing late at night and met up with the rest of our group on the tour. I remember standing in front of a Starbucks in the airport waiting for some other group members to arrive….My Starbucks is never too far away!! We boarded a bus and met our national guide for the trip. Her name was Flora, and she was the sweetest person. Our guide for Beijing would be Michael. Of course, these were not their real names, they were the American ones they had made up to make it easier on us! Arriving at the hotel, we were surprised at how nice it was. We stayed in “luxury” accommodations by China’s standards. The rooms were big and had all that we needed…BUT the beds were like sleeping on concrete (throughout the whole country). I remember plopping down after we got in only to be jarred with pain. Yes, they were that bad.

We started Beijing off with the best..The Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. The Forbidden City was much larger and spread out than we had expected, but once again the amount of history there is unbelievable. Tiananmen Square is the largest public square in the world and has been the site of many important and significant events! There were many great sites and good food in Beijing. Of course, the most anticipated moment…The Great Wall. I remember as we were pulling up in the bus Matt said “No way, I’m not climbing up that.” It literally went straight up the “mountain.” The wall itself was massive and amazing. The steps were so uneven making it even more difficult to climb. I will never forget the feeling of turning around at the top and realizing that I had made it, really made it. I wasn’t dripping buckets of sweat; I wasn’t even dying for breath. My journey to be healthy was made real for me that day…it was my proudest moment. For the first time ever, Matt struggled to keep up with me…not the other way around!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The Great WallThe Great Wall
The Great Wall

Half way up our climb. A view from a tower
Straight up The Great WallStraight up The Great Wall
Straight up The Great Wall

Our view from the bus as we approached
My proudest MomentMy proudest Moment
My proudest Moment

I made it to the top!
Matt with his General Mao WatchMatt with his General Mao Watch
Matt with his General Mao Watch

He bartered his butt off for it..he waves!
Temple of HeavenTemple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven

Called the "Eiffel Tower" of Beijing
Funny Freshwater Pearl AnimalsFunny Freshwater Pearl Animals
Funny Freshwater Pearl Animals

At a stop to a freshwater pearl factory we saw these funny animals.
They Love Their BikesThey Love Their Bikes
They Love Their Bikes

Taken at the Ming Tombs
Hutong Rickshaw RideHutong Rickshaw Ride
Hutong Rickshaw Ride

Ride through oldest neighborhood in Beijing


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb