Beijing on our own


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » XiCheng District
September 6th 2012
Published: September 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we used a taxi and went to the Lama Temple. People there would burn three incense sticks, kneel, and bow three times. The largest Buddha in Beijing. Beautiful temples. Then we hopped a taxi and went to the Temple of Heaven. It was a temple and huge park where empowers offered sacrifices. There were beautiful gardens and pine trees with soft music playing throughout. Very relaxing! Our group of 17 all went out to dinner together. It was authentic Chinese. I ordered tea, thinking that would be easy. Cha in Chinese. They brought me hot water, no tea in it. When I asked about it,they brought me a scroll with all the different teas I could choose from. The only problem was that it was all written in Chinese characters! I told them they could choose for me. Of course, they chose one that cost $6! When the meal was over, they brought us our bill-all one one! Then, they stood there looking very amazed that we were trying to figure out how much each one of us owed! I'm sure they were very impressed! What a riot! Then it was to Dairy Queen for a cone on the way back to the hotel. There was a KFC, TGI Fridays, and a Starbucks right next to it! Tomorrow is our first day with our tour guide. Luckily we won't have to use the taxi. You wouldn't believe the traffic here and the. Ray way they drive. Then, add people on bikes. Crazy! Night all.

Advertisement



7th September 2012

Glad to hear that you had a good flight. Sounds like you are having an interesting experience and learning about the Chinese culture. Believe it or not, we did not golf Wednesday because of rain!! Of course, it cleared up later in the day! Keep posting and enjoy your stay!
7th September 2012

Glad to hear that you had a good flight. Sounds like you are having an interesting experience and learning about the Chinese culture. Believe it or not, we did not golf Wednesday because of rain!! Of course, it cleared up later in the day! Keep posting and enjoy your stay!
11th September 2012

Lama Temple?
Lama Temple the setting of the "Llama llama..." series children's books?
11th September 2012

Doubt it
I don't think so since it was a bunch of separate pagodas with budas in them. One had the biggest buda in Beijing. It was carved out of a white ash tree and they built a pagoda around it. People would burn three sticks of incense at each buda. It was really smokey and smelly!
11th September 2012

Lama Temple?
Lama Temple the setting of the "Llama llama..." series children's books?

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb