Tian'anmen Square


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Tian'anmen
December 16th 2011
Published: April 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A short walk from Wangfuijing Street you can get to Tian’anmen square. A vast wide open square, Tian’anmen is where Mao’s mausoleum can be found and where students stood up against the tanks.

On the west side of the square going towards Qian Mein there are some majestic statues that depict the communist struggle and victory. I am reminded a huge statue I saw when I was in Lisbon many years ago. The statues are on two sides of the main entrance to buy your tickets.

There was a huge line up to go into to see Mao. You cannot bring your purse of any bags into the mausoleum. You can pay to have your bags checked into locker if you wish. Even in the -16 degree (Celsius) weather there was a line up to get in.

We took some fun pics of food trucks with goodies to keep you warm. If you get hungry, head on down to Qian Mein where there are many restaurants for a bite to eat. See my post on Qian Mein for more info.

Tian’anmen divides the city up. The north side, on the opposite side of the road is an entrance that leads into the Forbidden City. The west side goes to Qian Mein and the Muslim area. The south sides heads down towards the temple of heaven. The east side takes you back to Wangfujing Street.

On a sunny December day the cold air can be frigid, so we were lucky we dressed really, really warm!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb