Chinese Refresher


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Daxing
September 19th 2009
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It has been another wonderful visit to China… we’ve certainly experienced some exceptional hospitality from our friends here. After teary farewells to parents in southern China, we trained to Jinhua, the city we once studied in. The locals, including our friends that work at the University, the bike repair-man (Callum’s new best friend since he daily requires work on his bike!), the international phone-card man, the fruit and street-food sellers, all appreciate our yearly visits. We enjoyed many afternoon swims with friends in big reservoirs in the country areas out from the University. We also made another hike to the top of the small mountain at the back of the Uni. The boys were very busy with their social schedules here, catching up with lots of friends and making new ones. Their favourite part of the day was when the play ground area came alive with children ‘finally’ finished with their days studies!

A later visit to Beijing was a good opportunity to visit some friends both on the way and in Beijing itself from our stint there last year. It certainly was much cooler up in the north and we had to dig out long sleeves. Last year it was the purchase of cars. This year, the newest development to the fast-changing lives of our friends, was the increased size of apartments and television sets. With moon-cake festival just around the corner, we’ve certainly had our share of moon-cakes. The locals tell us the packaging is not an indication of how good the cake actually is! In days gone by the best cakes had thicker outsides and now these are quite fine and the filling is in abundance. Although it’s traditional to give the fancy-packaged moon-cakes to good friends and colleagues, the locals prefer to eat the local market-made or home-baked ones.

The boys mandarin language is fairly well cemented now, though with the national week’s holiday coming up, we need to make a quick exit before travel is not really an option (otherwise it gives a whole new dimension to chaos with half of the country going home to see relatives)! The city gardeners are certainly busy transforming the city with amazing gardens and flower displays.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb