Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from Changping
Latest Blogs from Changping
- December 17th 2012 Skiing under the Great Wall
by Words: 112 Photos: 14
- April 16th 2010 Last Day in Beijing
by Words: 585 Photos: 6
- April 14th 2010 A Night at the Opera
by Words: 228 Photos: 11
- April 12th 2010 Excuse me. . .I have a frog in my throat
by Words: 468 Photos: 2
- April 11th 2010 My weekend adventures. .
by Words: 436 Photos: 12
- April 9th 2010 T. rexes and Toilets. . .
by Words: 466 Photos: 6
- April 8th 2010 Spring Flowers. . .
by Words: 226 Photos: 8
- April 8th 2010 Song and Dance. . .
by Words: 585 Photos: 1
- April 6th 2010 My name is Stinky Feet. . .
by Words: 672 Photos: 4
- April 5th 2010 The Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square
by Words: 563 Photos: 34
- April 5th 2010 The Great Wall
by Words: 771 Photos: 16
- April 4th 2010 The Great Flood. . .
by Words: 569 Photos: 6
- April 4th 2010 All things radioactive. . .
by Words: 666 Photos: 1
- April 1st 2010 Just another crazy day in Beijing. . .
by Words: 693 Photos: 6
- March 31st 2010 A Busy Day
by Words: 474 Photos: 1
- March 30th 2010 First couple days in Beijing (Changping district)
by Words: 834 Photos: 7
- September 3rd 2009 App.1: Edgar on...the Environment.
by Words: 1129 Photos: 6
- September 3rd 2009 App.2: Edgar on...Chinese Toilets.
by Words: 1200 Photos: 3
- August 11th 2009 A Crazy Summer
by Words: 128 Photos: 0
- April 20th 2008 Since China
by Words: 1581 Photos: 25