Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Huangshan
Blogs from Huangshan
Latest Blogs from Huangshan
- February 21st 2013 CHINA: Beginning to Believe & the Black Tiger
by Words: 1579 Photos: 75
- December 2nd 2012 At least we tried to see the sights!
by Words: 291 Photos: 0
- December 1st 2012 Duvet day
by Words: 219 Photos: 0
- October 10th 2012 The Madness of Mid-Autumn Festival
by Words: 1154 Photos: 21
- September 9th 2012 I'll Make A Man Out Of You
by Words: 1772 Photos: 9
- July 24th 2012 "Rare jongens die Chinezen..."
by Words: 1436 Photos: 22
- July 15th 2012 Vacation in Huangshan!
by Words: 1102 Photos: 21
- June 1st 2012 Tchau Tongling, oi Huangshan
by Words: 540 Photos: 0
- April 30th 2012 Day 31 – Hongcun to Shanghai, The Final Leg
by Words: 350 Photos: 12
- April 20th 2012 Chaji village
by Words: 22 Photos: 19
- April 9th 2012 Foto's #3
by Words: 1 Photos: 27
- April 8th 2012 Groen, blauw en bruin
by Words: 850 Photos: 0
- June 19th 2011 Travelling Chinese
by Words: 788 Photos: 0
- May 20th 2011 The guilty pleasures of life
by Words: 1234 Photos: 0
- April 14th 2011 Huangshan (Yellow Mountains)
by Words: 1326 Photos: 9
- April 4th 2011 The YELLOW Mountains... Here we come!
by Words: 1199 Photos: 0
- February 20th 2011 Mountain Climbing in the Wintertime
by Words: 2136 Photos: 83
- January 26th 2011 Week 69a - "Stupid English"
by Words: 2084 Photos: 36
- January 6th 2011 Huangshan, China - Yellow Mountain (黄山)
by Words: 500 Photos: 26
- November 25th 2010 Picture Perfect Hongcun
by Words: 311 Photos: 22