Cambodias city and the temples of Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
May 14th 2010
Published: May 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello again, a bit of a delay on the latest installment due to too much fun being had in the south of Thailand.

Picking up on our ventures to Vietnam we decided to take the fast boat up the Mekong to the capital of Cambodia - Phnom Penh. After a dodgy waterside border crossing and a few backhanders we were on our way and travelling inland to the searing heat and arid landscape. We made it to the capital in time for the Cambodian New Year - with lots of fireworks ringing out over the city and lots of drunk tuc tuc drivers, offering to take you home - as we witnessed numerous bike crashes from the safety of a balcony restaurant.

A country still in recovery from the atrocities of Pol Pot's regime - the country was stepped in recent history which devasted this once peaceful and happy land. The Killing Fields and Tuong Sleng museum were sobering visits to a city on the mend. Poverty was very much more prevelent here, but the Cambodians still had a smile on their face .

The next leg was a trip to Siam Reap and the ancient temples of Angkor. A 3 day stay to take in the vast complex of temples and religious monuments alive in the middle of the jungle. Each temple having a unique and mystifying appearance, this place equalled any monument or tourist attraction we had seen to date. The place had character, bringing images of Indiana Jones and Lara Croft as we discovered more and more sites. Our short stay in this country was a tough but memorable one.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb