Three Coastal Towns


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South
August 8th 2008
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SihanoukvilleSihanoukvilleSihanoukville

Sihanoukville has lions on it's central roundabout.
Sihanoukville, Kampot, Kep: casinos, crumbling towns, and ghost resort. Kampot was the main centre on the Cambodian coast until Sihanoukville was founded in 1964. Now post-war reconstruction is focusing on this ugly place. Kampot is surprisingly unchanged; it's hardly received a facelift. All the buildings in Kep were gutted during the war, and it is still full of the shells of once-affluent holiday houses. The seafood remains great.


Travel Notes


Kampot is two hours by taxi, US$20, from Sihanoukville. Kep is another forty minutes by tuk-tuk, US$8.00. Stay in Sihanoukville for backpacker and beach culture, in Kampot for old-time relaxation, and in Kep's small resort hotel for a total chill out. I paid US$9.00 at the Kampot Guest House for an old-fashioned master bedroom, with hot water, fan, and writing desk. I explored Sihanoukville in the back of a tuk-tuk, Kampot on a hired bicycle, and Kep in another tuk-tuk.


How I’ve been


I'm loving the fact that so many friends are commenting on my posts. I've been trying to write replies, but I can't really imagine that you see them. In future I'll put personal notes at the bottom of new posts. Tomorrow I'll
SihanoukvilleSihanoukvilleSihanoukville

It also has a restaurant built around an old aeroplane ...
write about how I got from Kampot to Battambang.

Brian: I wish you were coming along too.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

SihanoukvilleSihanoukville
Sihanoukville

... and a lot of casinos.
SihanoukvilleSihanoukville
Sihanoukville

The streets are almost empty of heavy traffic, ...
SihanoukvilleSihanoukville
Sihanoukville

... but carries a certain amount of light traffic.
KepKep
Kep

This is off-shore Rabbit Island, famed for its beaches. In view of the weather let go of plans to visit them.
KepKep
Kep

It is a town of ghost houses.
KepKep
Kep

This one is a former residence of King Sihanouk.
KepKep
Kep

Kep is famous for its seafood, especially the fresh crab.
KepKep
Kep

It also has a lady (not a mermaid) on a promentary, and the bad weather didn't keep visitors away.
KepKep
Kep

Tuk-tuks line up on the beach-front waiting for their passengers to finish lunch.
KepKep
Kep

Our lunch included Kep crab cooked in fresh Kampot peppers ...
KepKep
Kep

... and fresh durian.
KepKep
Kep

The Kep roundabout is only one of the places I've met these characters; I still have to work out who they are.
KampotKampot
Kampot

This is the old bridge into Kampot, ...
KampotKampot
Kampot

... the old regional centre ...
KampotKampot
Kampot

... on the bank of the Prek Kampong Bay.
KampotKampot
Kampot

This is the scene outside the Kampot market.
KampotKampot
Kampot

Inside it is pretty basic.
KampotKampot
Kampot

Pomellos and durian on sale inside the market.
KampotKampot
Kampot

This lady found me some safety pins quickly, as soon as I'd drawn a picture of one.
KampotKampot
Kampot

Kampot is full of attractive old colonial buildings.
KampotKampot
Kampot

Most of them are ...
KampotKampot
Kampot

... yet to be ...
KampotKampot
Kampot

... renovated like this guesthouse.


11th August 2008

I concur
Travel only to Sinoukville if you are desperate for the beach and for backpacker companions. Did you see a sunset down there, mama??? I remember them being particularly spectacular.
11th August 2008

I loved the picture of the restaurant with the plane stuck inside! Re the Kep roundabout characters: they look like they're from the Indian epic Ramayana, where the monkey God Hanuman rescues Sita, wife of Rama from a demon king.
11th August 2008

Di: Kep roundabout
Yes, Mani sent me this message too: "Gillian those two characters are from the epic Ramayana. I believe it is the monkey God Hanuman carrying Sita , Rama's wife to safety after rescuing her from Ravana. I think that is what it looks like to me." Now it's pointed out to me I can see it, but the statues don't look to me like he is carrying her.
11th August 2008

From Barbara
Hi Gillian, It was interesting to read your itinerary, and see how it’s going. I guess you’ll be on your way to Battenburg soon. Count me as one of your readers to whom your trip is all very exotic. Barbara from the WB.
11th August 2008

From Barbara
Hi Gillian, It was interesting to read your itinerary, and see how it’s going. I guess you’ll be on your way to Battenburg soon. Count me as one of your readers to whom your trip is all very exotic. Barbara from the WB.
12th August 2008

More Comments About Buildings And Food
When I scrolled by what you had for lunch. How spicy is the food? Mild, medium, hot, 3-alarm? Also, I like the Colonial architecture. I wonder if they will eventually restore/renovate the buildings? Keep on trekkin' Gillian.
21st August 2008

I have been on va-cay as well, so I am way behind on your travels. I am still loving all your pictures and the on going commentary! I'll be caught up with you soon:)

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb