Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
May 1st 2014
Published: May 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early again and went on a expedition to try and find another lonely planet recommendation by the river to have breakfast before getting the bus at half 11. After walking around for an hour and a half, the place didn't seem to exist and we were running out of time, so just got a coffee and went to check out.
We were dropped off at the bus station in the central Phnom Penh, it was so busy everywhere, it was a national holiday, Women's Day, so a lot of locals were going to sihanoukville for the weekend.
We had heard a lot about buses in Cambodia, like how they cram as many people as possible in each one even if the seat doesn't exist but the bus we got on was one of the nicest ones we have been on. It was mainly full of locals going to the beach for the weekend, apparently one of the busiest days to travel there.
The bus journey was fine, not too bumpy and took around 6 hours, arriving at the bus station in Sihanoukville around 6 ish in the evening. It was so nice to see the first glimpse of the sea from the bus as we had so far done all our travelling in land.
We got a tuk tuk down to the beach we wanted to stay at, Otres beach. It is a bit further a long to the touristy area, so quieter and not as busy. It was quite a small area, just a street with guesthouses and restaurants along the beach, really pretty.
It was getting dark by the time we arrived, so we needed to find a place to stay as soon as possible. We started by trying to find a few we had seen in lonely planet but they were either fully booked or only had very expensive rooms left. We started asking at any we passed but they were all fully booked. I went in to one which looked I thought at the time was alright, they had one room left. I had a quick look at it, it was on the beach and I think partly a bit desperate to try and just have somewhere to say said yes. It was only once we had paid and got our bags that we realised it was just basically four bits of metal in a square shape with one bit on top as a roof, a mosquito net with holes in, and a toilet which had the worst smell coming from it as it didn't flush even if you poured water down it and probably hadn't been flushed for weeks. We decided to just spend the evening out til we really needed to sleep.
We went to one of the restaurant a bit further down on the beach, I had seafood pad thai and a coconut, it was really nice!
We went out for few drinks where we were staying, hoping it would hopefully help us sleep.
Initially we fell asleep quite quickly as we were really tired. But after waking up in the middle of the night, the mixture of the disgusting smell and the sound of things crawling and scuffling around, which sounded like it was right by the bed kept me up for most if the night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb