Sihanoukville & Siem Riep


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
April 16th 2008
Published: May 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Feb 08

We spent a couple of days lazing on the beach at Sihanoukville, it was nice but we had been spoilt with the great beach at Mui Ne. There was quite a lot of hassle from kids on the beach who were selling everything from fruit and bracelets to leg hair removal ! They would come around and inspect your legs and say 'Miss, do you want your hairy legs done?" charming I thought ! There was also a lady selling fresh lobsters on the beach for three dollars, we couldn't refuse that and it tasted fantastic!

After relaxing for a few days we ventured to Siem Riep to visit the amazing temples. Up to that point we had been feeling a bit 'templed out' to be honest but the temples at Angkor are something different, they are incredible. The first day we hired bikes and cycled around but the temples are so far apart that we only managed to see two of them that day, Angkor Wat itself is huge and you can spend hours just looking around that one temple. Ta Prohm were some of Tomb Raider is filmed is also really impressive.

At sunset we went up in a giant helium balloon but it was a bit to far away to get a good view of Angkor Wat. That evening we went to a bar called Dead fish for some well earned 'Angkor draught'. The building is a converted crocodile farm and apparently they had some crocs that they didn't want to sell to be eaten and they couldn't release them into the wild so they decided to keep them in a big pen in the bar and we fed them fish ! Can you imagine casually throwing some fish for a couple of crocs in the Gerrard Arms?

After a lazy day in the town we went back to Angkor to see the other main temples, although this time we cheated and hired a tuk tuk to take us there. We met a lovely couple, Sarah and Kev so we arranged to meet up with them for dinner later that evening. They were great company but bad influences and we ended up drinking too much beer, which in hindsight was not a good idea seeing as though we had to get up at 7:00am the next day to catch a (non air conditioned) bus to Thailand along one of the worst roads in Asia from Siem Reap to the Cambodia/Thailand border.

We loved Cambodia it was a very interesting place too visit and the people were so friendly and warm, the only thing that we didn't like was that there seemed to be lots and lots of young children working to late into the night either selling books or just begging, it was hard to see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

This bit was used in Tomb raiderThis bit was used in Tomb raider
This bit was used in Tomb raider

Waited 10 mins to see if Angelina was still there .... she wasn't .......bugger


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0923s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb