Back to Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 12th 2014
Published: July 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

So it was time to head back to Phnom Penh on the final stage of our trip,in Cambodia.



We set off around 8am and headed to a silk farm which helps to support the local community and those affected by the land mines left behind from the war.



We were shown around by the owners wife as he had to go to PP as he wasn't well. She didn't spare us the details of his illness but I shall spare you lol. We saw the silk worms and the different life stages, then how they get the silk off the cocoon and the spinning and weaving of the cloth in to scarves.



From there we continued our journey and we visited a local market which is famed for it's line of fried tarantulas! Oh and you could play around with the live ones too. Suffice to say I did not indulge in this. As you know I'm terrified of the beasties so I stayed in the mini bus with one of the boys who equally freaks out when boris's are on the scene. We were shown the pictures later which gave me the shivers just looking at them.



The road back to PP was very bumpy and uneven as it's currently under construction and dusty and full of pot holes, so another bone shaking ride to add to all the others I have experienced on my travels to date lol.



We finally reached our destination and all parted company and went our separate ways and we had all booked our own accommodation. I arranged with the girls to meet up with them later for dinner. I hailed a tuk tuk and headed towards my hostel which was on the other side of town, $3 ride away. I checked in had some food and a snooze lol.



I headed back to see the girls later and hung out with Evi & Carrie until Cat arrived. Camille arrived sporting her newly painted toes lol. Once we were all,present and correct we headed out for food. Camille had been doing her research and she had found a couple of places near by which were both NGO's (none government organisations) aimed at helping people.



We ate at the friendly restaurant which helps street kids to get and education and training in the hospitality industry. We rocked up,with no reservation but luckily a table became available so it meant wedding have long to wait and we were able to sit outside.



The menu was tapas so we all chose 2 dishes each and we had admixture if mets, fish, veggie and pasta. It was absolutely yummy! The dishes came a few at a time which was good as the table wasn't big enough for everything to arrive at one time, and it meant we could take our time eating. We of course had to finish off with dessert as it would have been rude not too. I had a slice of delicious chocolate cheese cake!



After eating and enjoying a last meal with the girls I headed back via a tuk tuk to the hostel. Carrie and Evi were heading off the next day so it was a nice meal to finish off the short time we had been travelling together.



The dorm was pretty quiet until people started coming in from their evening out. Fettling around in bags, going to the bathroom, chatting, lights being switched on, all the usual kerfuffle that goes along with sharing a dorm. Then about 4am a guy came back with a girl and once the usual kerfuffle was over they went to bed. Luckily they were sleeping on a bottom bunk as she then decided to throw up - nice NOT! I think he may have cleaned it up as I had out my ear phones in to stop me gagging lol. So quite resumed until she did it a second time! This time it was left where it landed. Then an hour or so later a guy and a girl came back chatting loudly and commenting on the mess.



Around 6am the sicky girl left rather apologetically and the other couple were getting a bit amorous in the top bunk but this was halted by his mate. Sadly I had a full view of his nether regions as I was by this time wide awake reading. Ah the joys of hostel life lol.

Xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb