Phnom Penh, Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 13th 2006
Published: August 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Cambodian Palace GroundsThe Cambodian Palace GroundsThe Cambodian Palace Grounds

Not as impressive as Bangkok Grand Palace but still worth the visit.

Phnom Penh



While in Phnom Penh we visited the Toul Sleng Genocide Museum, made infamous by the killing fields and the S21 prison where 20,000 of the most educated civilians were killed by the Khmer Rouge regime between 1975 and 1979. In remembrance of those killed there is a huge monument filled with thousands of the victims skulls, many of which belonged to small children.

Inside the prison, which was previously a school, most of the prisons cells and torture equipment is still in tact. The walls are covered in graphic and horrific photos of many of the victims in various states. Without actually seeing this for yourself it's difficult to comprehend just how bad things were here and even more depressing to think similar things are happening right now in other countries...This is easily the most harrowing and heart rending experience of my life.

On a more cheerful note its remarkable how this city has bounced back, everywhere you look you see smiling Cambodian faces and new business development.

The nightlife here is also fairly low key but if you seek you will usually find and we found a cool pool bar/ club called the Heart
...

Travelling in style again in the back of a Tuk Tuk.
of Darkness. Suffice to say we enjoyed a couple of really good nights here sampling the local brew and mixing with the locals.

Other highlights we're relaxing at our lodgings over looking the huge lake in the middle of the city and that's without the happy herb pizza's (and no mum I didn't try any). We also had a good day relaxing with some of the locals at the water park. Unfortunately Tony busted his ear again (previously from a scuba diving incident). The following day we were off to Ho Chi Minh City. First stop - find a hospital.

Almost forgot to the mention one of the highlights was putting Tony back in his place with a 6-2 wupping on Pro Evolution Soccer.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

..
.

I am smiling..honestly
..
.

The killing fields monument
..
.

A small number of the victims
..
.

View from our lodgings...


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb