3 Days Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
March 18th 2012
Published: March 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Phnom Penh


It's a bit of a bus shuffle this morning, two changes within a small distance until we reach the bus station. Expected ETA is 4pm, so far the road has been comfortable traveling. Not much has changed in scenery, still dry rice fields and small one room houses on very long polls.

The bus hits it's brakes and we, very narrowly miss colliding with a rider on a scooter, it appears he just turned out in front of the bus, he goes flying across the road side ways trying to keep control of his bike, dust everywhere, looking back through the window I can see he is OK and back on his feet. Thank goodness! Our bus driver is a horn tooting demon speeding along.

Phenom Phenn is a mix of new and old style buildings. The bus depot is like a used bus lot, no order to be recognized, bus, mini vans and tuk tuk's every which way. Stepping out of the bus you are faced with a sea of tuk tuk drivers all pushing to get your attention, plus try to get you take them on as your personal guide.

Finaly settling on a driver are some negotiations we arrive at our next hostel. It appears we have made another great choice in accommodation, right in the centre and in walking distance to most attractions and next to the produce market.

We have been worned not to venture out after 9pm as it is not safe, also to beware of pick pockets and bag snatchers mainly by small children. It is advised to pin your bag to your clothing.

Day 2 - Breakfast and once again our feet are on the move to see the Royal Place and Silver Pogoda.

a)Royal Palace was constructed twice, 1434 then again in 1866.No longer the residence of the kings family, but still used for special occassions. Most of the buildings include sculptures and many multi tired roofs, with tops of towers embossed with symbols of prosperity. The earlier buildings were wooden and then reconstructed in concrete.

The Silver Pagoda (Wat Preah Keo Morokat) which means "The Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Know for the 5329 silver tiles that cover the floor, each of which have been handcrafted.Most of this was covered up for protection from all the tourist pouring through.

It has been so very hot and humid our energy levels are very low, not feeling like we want to do much more walking, we decide to hang out in a ice cream/ baker parlour called "The Blue Pumpkin". Upstairs you can laze around on big white soft bed like futons with little short leg tables sit on top that divide this area into sections, the waiters bring cold peppermint scented refreshing towels and wait to take your order. This is a very popular hang out for many a tourist and better of Cambodia. A huge full length glass windows give you a view of the Mekong River and all the construction going on the opposite side, while just below groups of people exercising, many appear to be elderly.

Day 3 - Today we go to see the Choeung Ek (Killing Fields) and Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum - (S21 Prison).

Leaving with mixed feelings, but feel we should not miss going to read and listen to the history behind Pol Pot regime. On our way out to our first stop, you see some strange sights on motorbikes, such as a small child with a make shift intravenous drip, double beds, wardrobes and parts of car engines. The type of buildings are changing, with more labour intense style of jobs, welding (bare feet and sun glass for protection), vegetable farms right next door to a chemical out pour, large open air bakeries and meat hanging from hooks on the edge of dusty red dirt roads.

On Arriving a the Killing field, head sets are handed out for you to listen to a well presented narration of the atrocities carried out under the Pol Pot administration. He killed 3 million Cambodians and 5 Westerners. There are still many mass graves doted around this country. Standing in the middle is a large pagoda with human skulls and other pieces of skeletal remains. A museum containing torture gadgets, clothes, photos and stories of this heart wrenching time in Cambodian history.

Its a little surprising to find out that the actual Killing Field are now owned and run by a Japanese business and the entry fee does not go to the local people.

Tuol Sleng Musem of Genocide, in 1976, the Khmer Rouge renamed the high school S-21 and turned it into a torture, interrogation and execution centre. Of the 14,000 people known to have entered only 7 survived.

Back to The Blue Pumpkin cooling down and cool drinks. If you are looking for somewhere to rest in comfort this is the place.

Tomorrow a small mini bus will take us south to Xa Xhi, were we will catch a super boat to Phu Quoc Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb