Arrived in Phnom Pehn


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 9th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived in Phnom Pehn this morning after our bus journey was nearly double what we expected! We knew it wasn't going to go well when the bus broke down before we even moved, but we made it safely so it's no problem!
A more detailed update on Saigon - We both loved it as a city. Most people say Hanoi is more charming and we did like Hanoi, but its very claustrophobic with tiny little streets and scooters whizzing past your ankles all the time. Saigon feels like more of a capital city, it is very busy, but on a bigger scale so it doesn't feel stifling. We both found the war museum fascinating and very upsetting at the same time, we both felt especially angry that it seemed we had to come to Vietnam to learn about a huge war that almost seems to be swept under the carpet in the west. True, the museum is propagandist in tone, but we both felt we could completely understand that when people haven't been compensated for crimes that occured during the war, especially the chemical poison agent orange that is still causing problems in Vietnam today. When we left the museum to walk home we heard a familiar clap of thunder and saw some lightening ahead - then the heavens opened. We ran back into the museum but they soon threw us back out because it was closing. A taxi was far to expensive and we decided a cyclo or bike wasnt safe in the pouring rain so we settled for the last option, buying a poncho and walking. We reasoned that with rubber soled flip flops we couldnt possibly get struck by lightening, and we were really really hungry, so off we went (with Hannah having both a hole in her flip flop and her poncho!). A very wet hour later we made it to the restaurant opposite our hotel, for some very much appreciated hot food!

Yesterday we had a wander in the morning and did some shopping, and then went to book our bus to Cambodia, the man there asked us if we were free at half 4, which we were. He said that if we had the time we could go and volunteer at a school for a few hours helping to teahc english to some children. we were both quite nervous about it but we went along, and actually really enjoyed ourselves. Hannah became a strict disciplinarian, while jess stood there marvelling that at 20 years old in an english school she was supposed to be helping at, she had only just learned how to spell February (not, as she always thought - Febuary!) You really do learn something new every day. So at half 7 it was back to the hotel to get packed, and then on to cambodia! We are both slightly nervous about seeing everything in Phnom Pehn, we will try and update before we leave for the beach at Shianoukville on monday morning.
Love to everyone x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb