Will you be my "Phnom Penh" pal?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
May 19th 2010
Published: May 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a relaxing and uneventful day in Bangkok (and one the best massages I've ever had!), we headed to the airport and our flight to Phnom Penh on Bangkok Air was fantastic! I think the experience even cheered Jason up, who is quite bummed and annoyed that Delta still has not located his bags!!

All day yesterday, the news was reporting that the major clashes were ending and the leaders of the red-shirts were surrendering. Apparently the followers are not following suit. While we were waiting for our flight, the BBC reported that the Thai stock exchange was on fire and once we boraded our flight and took off, you could see downtown Bangkok burning in the distance. So apparently things aren't getting better yet...

Our arrival in Phnom Penh was really easy except the customs agent thought I was trying to pay for my visa with a counterfeit $20 bill. He and his team of associates had to place it under some special light and took more than a few minutes to decide that it was authentic. We expected customs to be pretty intense but instead, there was no one there, we walked right through and dropped our customs declarations in a pile of others with no questions asked. Weird. Phnom Penh is definitely warmer than Bangkok (or maybe just less air-conditioned than where we were) but we were greeted at our hotel, The Blue Lime, with ice-cold glasses of passionfruit. Yum! We ventured out to a traditional Khmer restaurant for dinner and enjoyed some AMAZING food and drinks for just $8.00.

Today we're finally off to do some real sightseeing - first the killing fields, then the Museum of Cambodia and the National Palace and Silver Pagoda. Looking forward to seeing Cambodia!




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

More Palace More Palace
More Palace

You just can't imagine how hot it was there!


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb