Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
December 2nd 2008
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

SihanoukvilleSihanoukvilleSihanoukville

Deep Sea Fishing
Welcome back,

I left you last in Saigon putting my stomach to the test...its been shy of 2 weeks, and you'll be glad to know the old intestines are still in one piece.

I left from saigon heading to Sihanoukville on the far south-west coast of Cambodia. There is no organized direct route from saigon to sihaoukville, so me and a norweigen fellow carved our own. Starting with a simple 4hr mini-van ride to the Mekong Delta, then a 6 hr local bus ride to the border (I had a 40 lbs bag of garlic cloves as my foot rest), followed by a 2 hr motorbike ride through the border, and finally a 2 hr "car"ride into the beach town of Sihanoukville. There wasn't much to do here except lounge on the beach, read and enjoy the weather. Went deep-sea fishing with two other guys with a crazy Kiwi ex-pat as our captain. between 8 of us we caught near 80 fish, 7 of which were mine. Went back to the captains house/bar and 2 cambodian women filleted the fish and made us some of the finest fish & chips I have ever had.

Travelled to Phenom Phen
Phnom PenhPhnom PenhPhnom Penh

Breakfast
where I spent 3 days exploring the city and learning more about the Khmer Rouge and the genocide that the country is still recovering from today. I couldnt help but feel ignorant about my knowledge of the tragic and brutal history of such a beautiful country. 2,000,000 Cambodians died in a span of 4-5 years, a massacre on the same scale as the holocaust; an event that most westerners are familiar with...or at least heard of. I walked the Killing Fields where Cambodians were savagely executed; in order to conserve bullets barbaric methods of murder were practiced. Besides the memorial with clothing, skulls and bones, the most terrifying part of the exhibit was that it wasnt fully excavated. Walking the paths you couldnt help but step on teeth, large bones, and articles of clothing trying to claw their way from the dirt. After 20 minutes or so, I became so desensitized to this that for the most part I didnt aknowledge that I was casually strolling on human bones only about 30 years old. While walking the Killing Fields, I could hear children laughing and playing in a neighboring school.

From here I went to Tual Sleng (S-21 Prison).
Phnom PenhPhnom PenhPhnom Penh

7 people on one motorbike (a child is hiding behind the last man)
A High School that the Khmer Rouge converted into a prison and torture center. This was especially chilling as the torture methods used were displayed with little to no censorship, and the make-shift cells (which you could venture through) were unimaginably small and dark. A really enjoyed Phenom Phen, their entire existence is based around moving forward. Its a massive capital city that is expanding by the day, people are constantly working and the hospitality was second to none.

I am now in Siem Reap, the northern city which is home to Angkor Wat, a magnificent and massive ancient temple. It withstood destruction from the Khmer Rouge, and is an architectural masterpiece. The cambodian flag, their main beer, numerous hotels and restaurants all bare the name "Angkor Wat", it is a symbol of their strength and unwillingness to be broken. This was something I really related to drawing parallels to the historic struggle of the Jews and our ability to withstand multiple attempts at persecution.

To add the the list of bizarre foods I dines on crocodile and kangaroo last night...not as crazy as snake and bird embryo.

I head to Malaysia tomorrow for a couple weeks. So will update my blog near the end of that.
(I saw the sunrise at Angkor Wat this morning and am on 3 hours sleep...so once again there will be no proof read of this entry).






Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

S-21 PrisonS-21 Prison
S-21 Prison

School transformed into a torture prison
S-21 PrisonS-21 Prison
S-21 Prison

Hallways
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Cambodian BBQ: Frog
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Ta Prohm
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Kissing the ground Angelina Jolie graces in Tomb Raider
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Look closely


3rd December 2008

fascinating
Best update yet. Hope by the time you read this that your liquidity crisis is over (mines not:). The office is following you travels and stories very closely. We have a beautiful picture of Angor Wat in the office which you will no doubt notice for the first time even having passed it many. Travel safe pleased your with a companion Mat! Keep the updates coming.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb