Enjoying Sunday in a Museum


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
June 17th 2008
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

National Museum of CambodiaNational Museum of CambodiaNational Museum of Cambodia

the roof are amazing but don't you know that a lot of bats, Cambodian Freetail species, inhabits them. yes, and a lot of them, in fact National Museum has the largest bat population of any artificial structure in the world (as stated in Lonely planet). Seeing them fly away at sunset may be a spectacular moment but not for the treasures. Luckily, an international organization help raised funds to build a second ceiling to stop the droppings from falling through the collections...hurray, bats are happy, and so the museum patrons.
Killing the Monday sickness ahead of time, 2 of my classmates and I decided to check out the National Museum of Cambodia. It took me almost 6 months to go and see it, although I just live minutes drive away from it. Well, NMC is just North of the Royal Palace (another wonder that I hadn't taken time to stroll, shame "taking- things-for-granted-since-it's-at-my-reach-virus " is taking over me). You got to pay $3 for foreigners and 500 r for Cambodians to see the finest collections of Khmer arts.

Aside from typical culinary utensils unearthened, it also contains huge collection of sand dune sculptures. But the most amazing is the eight-armed statue of Vishnu from the 6th or 7th century AD (Sorry no pictures since it is not allowed inside). A lot of rescued artifacts are displayed dating from the pre-Angkorian periods (4th to 9th centuries) to Indravarman period (9th to 10 centuries) to the Angkorian (10th to 14th centuries).

After absorbing all the centuries old beauties, we decided to stretch a little more. Carnival rides. We did the bump car, twice! (we can't get enough of it) and the roller coaster ride and we're drained.

Too drained to
Photography phobitedPhotography phobitedPhotography phobited

inside the museum so we just content ourselves for those statues in the courtyards
remember that we will be having an exam the next day...

well, till next time Phnom Pehn...





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

chilling out in a museumchilling out in a museum
chilling out in a museum

with sorphorn (my cambodian classmate)
taken from afartaken from afar
taken from afar

such example of rescued collections
fishpondfishpond
fishpond

in the middle of delicate collections
bump carsbump cars
bump cars

nice way to start a week
let the kid in you play let the kid in you play
let the kid in you play

sometimes or else you'll catch yourself feeling too old for your age


26th June 2008

fun day
It looks like you had a fun day. Good luck with your studies!
17th August 2008

thank you
thanks rob n lorenza for dropping by

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb