kampot


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kampot
February 2nd 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lasse and I spent a few days on an island called Koh Thmei. we found this place after doing some digging around for a place that was not one of the usual island destinations. this place is part of reim national park on the south coast of cambodia. we had to arrange a boat to take us from a small fishing village where people live out on stilts on the water and make a life fishing out in the ocean. we were taken out in a long flat boat with a small engine from the coast out into the ocean and the ride got very interesting as we got out into the open water and the waves got BIG. basically we found ourselves at the front of the boat hanging on with our gear tied by a rope together so it wouldnt sail off into the ocean as the waves tossed us about (and sadly my life jacket was hanging at the BACK where i couldnt reach it). it took two hours to arrive at the koh thmei "resort". this resort is rustic and only has a few bungalows overlooking a stretch of sandy beach..and nothing else around us except remote islands and ocean.it was a bit of paradise in the middle of the ocean. it just opened two months ago and is run by a german couple who rent the land in the park from the border police who have a station nearby. we sure loved staying there. swimming in the warm ocean waters every day. we also explored some little trails into the jungle and discovered the amazing variety of plants and trees. some of the trees had very sharp spiky trunks and we had to be careful walking along so as not to accidently touch them. and then there were lots of ants forming big long trails on tree branches and because it was so dry they were eager to jump off and join us when we walked beneath those branches. (which meant doing a quick brushing off) i think its because it was so dry the ants were looking to us as a source of water.
at night we enjoyed the sound of frogs in the pond nearby and birds in the tree (one which sounds like a car alarm and going steady all night long). the sky was filled with stars.
after three days we came back via boat to the same fishing village. our motorbike had been parked in a fishermans' house by the dock. he had offered to have the bike inside his house (i could not him sharing his one room with family and kids,chickens and dogs and our bike there as well) so, we were fine with it being next to the house instead.
we loaded the bike with our gear and headed to the town of Kampot which is along a river. its very laid back here in kampot and there is alot of old buildings that have the french architectural influence. we splurged with a 15dollar a night room which includes air conditioning (sure need it here). right now there are many places that are closed as its now chinese new year andmany families are celebrating for the next few days. we noticed today that the chinese families create a small fire in front of their homes and burn gifts (ie. new clothes) and i believe its a gift for their deceased relatives. they also shoot off fireworks and there is lots of music in the air. its a great place to rent a bicycle and explore the small roads around the town and see the locals.


Advertisement



4th February 2011

photos of koh thmei
Friends and family: Here is a link to the resort's website - photo album. It's pretty cool to have a look. http://koh-thmei-resort.com/fotoseite.html

Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb