Temple Tour (mini version) and scam uncovered


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 13th 2014
Published: February 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

On waking this morning and going down to breakfast, embryonic plan for the next 2 days having been made, we got to the bottom of yesterday's tuktuk fiasco. The horrible guy at the bus station wasn't from the hotel at all, hence his sign which read Rachel and Sam (hotel didn't have Sam's name) and Sapaco (bus company name and not Sam So Guesthouse). It's a scam, probably instigated by the bus driver, who did have our names for our tickets, and sent him along. Explains why he didn't know we had a reservation already. The guesthouse had sent their driver to the bus company office, not the bus station, where he waited for 2 1/2 hours for us and then gave up. He was our driver today, so we gave him a fat tip to make up for it. Really annoying, and we were too tired to add it all up at the time, but are glad it was nothing to do with the guesthouse - they are very sweet here.

We decided to 'do' the temples today, not being huge temple buffs but it being on Sam's bucket list and the reason for the 14 hour bus journey. Went for a walk into town, and weren't hassled as much as I expected, did some bus research for our trip to Kep on Saturday and ended up booking through Sam So. Sadly, to get there in one day and not overnight (too scary on the roads and no sleep would be had anyway - too bouncy on the potholes and lots of horn honking), we have had to go for the Death Bus Company, aka Sorya, about which there are far more negative than positive reviews (one said that the bus broke down 10!!!!!! times between here and Phnom Penh), and yet again it could take up to 14 hours with a change of bus but not bus station in Phnom Penh. $15 a ticket and probably stops all over the place, but hopefully at the rest stop where we can try the deep-fried tarantulas!

We got the Sam So driver to take us to the temples - $15 for the day, but a short version as we were knackered and really just wanted to take some photos and look around rather than have a guide and loads of information. We started at Ta Prohm - the Tomb Raider one with trees growing out of the ruins, but it was ruined all over again by the crowds of really rude Japanese tour groups, who assumed a pack mentality, pushing and shoving and being generally a pain. It's quite a small temple, so with lots of people you have to queue a bit to get good pictures. Then to Bayon, our favourite - fabulous carved faces and not too busy, so there were moments where you were on your own. Not the best light for photos but they came out ok. Came out and looked for Mr T, our tuktuk driver and he was nowhere to be seen, so we started walking in opposite directions to go all the way round and see if we'd come out of the wrong entrance and after yomping in the heat for 15 minutes there was Sam in the back and he was peeping his horn frantically. It was hilarious.

Lastly, Sam's bucket list - Angkor Wat - surprisingly lacking in atmosphere, impressive size but the details, ie very long murals depicting historical scenes didn't do a lot for me. And we had to put suitable temple clothes on over our shorts and vest tops , so we were supersuper hot wandering around. Distinct lack of signage, and quite a trek round, so by this time we were templed-out came back for a chill. So we will have missed out on probably loads more but to be honest for us that would be overkill. Saw enough in about 3 hours. Tomorrow we are going to the Riverside Hotel to pimp their pool for the price of a few drinks and lunch, to rest up ready for another major travel day. blog again from Kep, if the wifi works - can't wait for some beach time now!

xxxxx to girlies


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement






Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb