The Bayon - Angkor Wat - Ta Prohm


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 9th 2013
Published: March 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The BayonThe BayonThe Bayon

My favourite temple.
I have visited the main Angkor temples before and looked forward to seeing them again. The Bayon is my favourite because of the stunning sculpture/stone work of the many faces and towers. It really does take your breath away and we sat in a corner of the complex for quite a while just admiring and taking in the sight in front of us. Angkor Wat is truly amazing and we spent at least three hours there walking through and around all the buildings. Ta Prohm of "Tomb Raider" movie fame was the busiest temple and I will go back there again on a quieter day. My guide said rainy season is a better time with less tourists. The photographs tell the story of another unforgettable day in Cambodia.


"The Bayon is a well-known and richly decorated Khmer temple at Angkor in Cambodia. Built in the late 12th century or early 13th century as the official state temple of the Mahayana Buddhist King Jayavarman VII, the Bayon stands at the centre of Jayavarman's capital, Angkor Thom. Following Jayavarman's death, it was modified and augmented by later Hindu and Theravada Buddhist kings in accordance with their own religious preferences.

The
The BayonThe BayonThe Bayon

The stone work is amazing.
Bayon's most distinctive feature is the multitude of serene and massive stone faces on the many towers which jut out from the upper terrace and cluster around its central peak. The temple is known also for two impressive sets of bas-reliefs, which present an unusual combination of mythological, historical, and mundane scenes. The current main conservatory body, the Japanese Government team for the Safeguarding of Angkor (the JSA) has described the temple as "the most striking expression of the baroque style" of Khmer architecture, as contrasted with the classical style of Angkor Wat.

Angkor Wat is the largest Hindu temple complex and the largest religious monument in the world. The temple was built by a king Suryavarman II in the early 12th century in Yasodharapura, the capital of the Khmer Empire, as his state temple and eventual mausoleum. Breaking from the Shaivism tradition of previous kings, Angkor Wat was instead dedicated to Vishnu. As the best-preserved temple at the site, it is the only one to have remained a significant religious centre since its foundation – first Hindu, then Buddhist. The temple is at the top of the high classical style of Khmer architecture. It has become a symbol of Cambodia, appearing on its national flag, and it is the country's prime attraction for visitors.

Ta Prohm is the modern name of a temple at Angkor, Siem Reap Province, Cambodia, built in the Bayon style largely in the late 12th and early 13th centuries and originally called Rajavihara. Located approximately one kilometre east of Angkor Thom and on the southern edge of the East Baray, it was founded by the Khmer King Jayavarman VII as a Mahayana Buddhist monastery and university. Unlike most Angkorian temples, Ta Prohm has been left in much the same condition in which it was found: the photogenic and atmospheric combination of trees growing out of the ruins and the jungle surroundings have made it one of Angkor's most popular temples with visitors.UNESCO inscribed Ta Prohm on the World Heritage List in 1992. Today, it is one of the most visited complexes in Cambodia’s Angkor region." from Wikipedia

Click on any of the 32 photos if you want a larger view


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The BayonThe Bayon
The Bayon

I sat in the corner with my guide and we looked in awe at the temple for 3o minutes, imagining what it must have been like in the past. This temple is a must see if you visit Cambodia.
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

You will be amazed on your first visit. My second time here and it really is a stunning place to visit.
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Will you believe your eyes? Did man really build this temple. The scope of the stone and art work is mind blowing.
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Hard work but the view at the top is worth the effort


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb