Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
March 14th 2012
Published: March 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Siem Reap


Day 1 - Up nice and early for our flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Arriving very early at the International Airport, but soon find ourselves being herded to check in, then onto a plane headed to Pakse - Lao 6.30am departure, it seems a little strange as our plane is not due to leave until 8:15am and meant to be a direct flight. When we asked we are told the flight had been cancelled. We will now have to wait 4 hrs in transit at Pakse, something we were trying to avoid. One thing we have learned while traveling is to only believe half of what you see and are told. Go with the flow, it all works out in the end.

Pakse Airport, our transit stop we will be our last touch with Lao soil. Another beautiful day awaits.

We are now officially in Cambodia, the weather is 30c with a very high humidity level, our tuk tuk gently moves toward the town, we can not help noticing how similar the landscape is to Lao. We are staying very close to the town centre.

As usual, by the time we reach our next distention, it's late afternoon. The Old Market "Phaar Chas" is a hive of activity, the currency is in $US with change given in Cambodian Riels, a strange combo.

Siem Reap is the gateway to the Temples of Angkor. The town is a cluster of old villages, you will also see a mix of French colonial and Chinese stores in the Old French Quarter. Our Hostel is in the old section of town. Its great to take a break from reking and The River Rose Garden Hotel a short 10 minutes ride in a Tuk Tuk, the Downtown Hostel backpackers are allowed to use there beautiful facilities (a real swimming pool).

Day 2 - Anghor Wat, here we come!

Anghor means "Capital City or "Holy City". The temple ruins are remnants of the Angkorian capitals, and represent the height of Khmer architecture, art and civilization. It's a very early start today- 4:30am, it is hoped we will catch the sunrise over the most photographed temple of Anghor Wat, along with a few thousand other visitors.

Todays trip we have hired a private Tuk Tuk driver and he will take us on the short circuit, returning back to base about 4pm.

First we need to purchase a pass to enter these ancient temples, there is a choice of: 1, 3, 7 or 1 month passes. We have opted for the 3 day multiple pass. This works out to be cheaper than buying a new pass every day. We are able to enter any three times in one week.

The morning air is pleasant and gives no hint that the day will be a scorcher. We have decided to split up and go to different spots in the hope of a brilliant photo, just like the professionals. One can only hope!!!!!

Sunrise came and went, not the type you would have said Oooo Rrrrrr too!

Anchor Wat is the most well known and only one that has a mot surrounding the temple. Size wise is relatively small when compared the Angkor Thom. Ya Prohm is most photographed because of trees growing out of the ruins. Due to the amount of tourist traffic and white ants many of the trees and charm has disappeared.

After many kms of walking and climbing we return back, shower and head to the Ice Cream Palour.

Day 3 - More temples today, also a visit to.

(a)The Butterfly Farm - butterfly are everywhere in Cambodia, but at the farm you can see some 1,500 Angkorean butterflies among 500 flowering plants and fruiting trees and the largest Stick Insect we have ever seen.

(b)Cambodian Land mines Museum, founded in 1997 by ex-child soldier Aki Ra, the Cambodia Landmine Museum tells the story of his rise from a 10 year old fighter in the Khmer Rouge to his present place as an internationally recognized hero.

The Museum tells the story of landmines in Cambodia and the country's continuing efforts to rid itself of the aftermath of over 35 years of warfare. You can not help but be moved by the individual story depicting their lives during this horrible time. Well worth a visit.

(c)Banteay Srei (Lady Temple) located 30km to the north of Angkor City, made from pink sandstone with most all the sculpture still in tack. The most beautiful temple in my opinion.

Day 4 - Today we start late and walk back into town, to see the Wat Prom Rath, another beautiful example of paintings telling the story of Buddha's life. I was most impressed with the appearance and up keep of this Wat.

4pm we are off to see the sunset at Anghor Wat and the sky is not promising to be in our favour. Once again we split up to get a claim a good location. All good intensions have been blown away literally, as a dust storm arises into small whirl whirls and clouds cover the sun. All is not lost as we get another chance to take more photos from the very top most point and photos of two weddings where the bride and groom are in traditional dress. They are so beautiful, I feel so lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

All templed out, we have walk many many kms and climbed many many steps, with any luck we should have some good photos.

Tonight we decide to stick our feet into a large fish tank, which contains hundred of small fish, ready to nibble on and between your toes plus the bottoms of our feet. A most unusually experience. Something you try once only.

Waking up to the sounds of Cambodian music, We quickly dress, pack and head down
Ladies TempleLadies TempleLadies Temple

Best preserved temple
stairs. The night time receptionist informs me a wedding ceremony is about to start. The music is to herald this special event, musicians (Men) dressed in traditional custom lead a procession of relatives and friends to the brides house. Cambodian weddings are celebrated over 3 days, also practiced in many other Asian countries.

Moving onto Phnom Penh Tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb