Last Day in S.E. Asia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
July 28th 2011
Published: July 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I fly out of Siem Reap to Seoul on a Red Eye tonight.

I'd planned on visiting the Angkor National Museum, but sadly, it's been sold to a for-profit business and prices have gone by 4 times. Looks like the Cambodian government is planning on selling more national treasures to (usually foreign) third parties. It's not as vile a crime as all the horrors that have visited this place recently, but selling the national heritage ... yikes. Even the killing fields in Phnom Penh are now run by a for-profit Vietnamese concern - that's one of the reasons I avoided going there.

Even the die hard extreme right in the U.S. is not advocating selling the National Monument to MacDonalds ... can you just see the Big 'M' over the National Mall? Or the Lincoln Memorial to Ford ... you get to drive there, only in a Ford Lincoln ... etc.

And the Vietnamese government, and the Hun Sen government here, which is closely allied with the Vietnamese government are supposedly "communists" ... umm .. In practice, it's capitalism even the capitalists can't get away with.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.2424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb