Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
May 6th 2010
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cambodia was amazing! It was the best place which I've been to so far, because of the people and the sights which I saw. It started off very strangely though, as the bus from Bangkok airport dropped us off 200 meters from the border. Then we had to go through three separate immigration offices; one was quarantine, the next was to buy the visa, then the final one was to stamp the visa. Then we got a bus, to another bus stop, where we had to either get on a bus to Siem Reap, or pay $3 more and get a taxi, so we got a taxi. The taxi driver decided to stop on the way to wash his car though! First stop in Cambodia was Siem Reap, as it is close to the Angkor Wat temples. They were spectacular, we spent three days roaming the ruins, and on the second day we got there for sunrise, and watched the sunset also - so was a very long day! Cambodia was so hot, reached 40 C! So we couldn't do much in the afternoons because of the heat. I also ate some very interesting food - frogs, snake, crocodile, a lot of sea food and kangaroo also. We had a barbeque on the table to cook the snake, crocodile and kangaroo. Also in Siem Reap, we went to see a floating village, which is a village on a lake. We got scammed here with a $20 entrance fee, but through guilt as the people said that it went to help the village people and the children go to school...... After Siem reap, we went to the capital, Phnom Pehn. Here I learned a lot about the genocide atrocities which happened in the late 70s in Cambodia. It was really awful what happened to the people there, as they were forced to evacuate their homes and go to nowhere. Others were forced into detention centers where they were beaten and eventually taken to the killing fields - horrific, but is something which needs to be known about. We only spent about five days in Cambodia, it was enough to see what we wanted to see as we were pushed for time, and then headed to Vietnam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb