Experience Cambodia- "All's Fair...?- A snapshot of the Cambodian people after the Khmer Rouge.


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 26th 2008
Published: December 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Experience Cambodia - Field Research Project



Recently myself and 14 other Victoria University students traveled from Australia to Cambodia. We started our journey in Siem Reap where we visited the amazing temples of Angkor then headed to Phnom Penh visiting the Tuol Sleng Museum and Killing fields of the Khmer Rouge, from there we headed to the sleepy hollow of Kampot and ended our Cambodian adventure in Sihanoukville lazing on the beaches and admiring the picturesque sunsets and character filled bars.

Before arriving in Cambodia I was unaware neither how severe the atrocities of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge had been nor how recent they had occurred. Although the history of Cambodia and the Angkor civilisations of the 8th century is fascinating and the ruins of the temples simply amazing, the most poignant thing I got out of the trip was the manner in which the Cambodian people have moved on from the horrible sufferance’s they have endured with such resilience and sustained hope for the future.

Although the people of Cambodia have rebounded exceptionally, the damage the Khmer Rouge caused this friendly culture is still easily identifiable and these few snapshots are some of the many photos I have from Cambodia but it is these photos that for one reason or other I think help portray some of the long term damage that has occurred in Cambodia.




Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



31st December 2008

great photos!

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb