Angkor City!!!!!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
July 10th 2008
Published: July 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Renea and I arrived to Siem Riep on the 1st of July in the afternoon, and after checking in our guesthouse we went straight to have dinner to try more delicious Khmer food.

The following day we had a very early start (4.45am) with our tuk-tuk, as we wanted to see the sunset at Angkor Wat, as they say it's fantastic. It was that and much much more that I can't describe with words. I was finally at Angkor Wat!!! I still can't believe it's not in the new 7 wonders of the world (I thought it was but when I checked the list today, discovered that it wasn't, incredible). This is the largest religious building in the world. It was built by Suryavarman II (r1112-52) to honour Vishnu, his patron deity, and for use as his funerary temple. We thought there wouldn't be to much people there at that time in the morning, but we were wrong, as there was hundreds of people waiting for the same...the sunrise at Angkor Wat!!!
You can easily spend many hours here looking at all the details of the temple, the asuras (demons), the devas (gods), the nagas (multiheaded serpents), etc etc.
Our tuk-tuk driver then took us to Angkor Thom, which was built by Angkor's greatest king, Jayavarman VII (r1181-1219). Behing the 5 monumental gates that mark the entrance to the city are some amazing and important monuments including Bayon, the Terrace of Elephants and the Terrace of the Leper King. When we got there a multitude of children selling from postcards to bracelets, etc started to follow us and asking us to buy something for one dolla! It broke my heart seeing so many kids like this, where they parents made them do this when they should be at school. The problem there is so many and they don't take a no for an answer so they follow you for a while.
We started at Bayon, a magnificent temple, that contains 216 gargantuan faces of Avalokiteshvara, so you feel like someone is watching you all the time. This temple was built around 1200 by Jayavarman VII in the exact centre of the city, some historians believe the faces with the smile bear more than a resemblance to the great king himself. It was definitely a stunning view, and the elaborate carvings are amazing.
We had to take a little break so
Sunrise at Angkor WatSunrise at Angkor WatSunrise at Angkor Wat

Amanecer en Angkor Wat
we had something to eat on one of the many food stalls there and a fresh coconut (how much I love drinking and eating them!!). We then headed to the Terrace of the Elephants, which was used as a giant reviewing stand for public ceremonies and parades, and served as the king's grand audience hall. This 300m long terrace was originally topped with wooden pavilions decorated with golden-framed windows. The Terrace of the Leper King is a carved 6m high platform on top of which stanbds a mysterious statue. Some believe it's Yama, the god of death, other Yasovarman, a Khmer ruler who, legend says, died of leprosy. The front retaining walls are decorated with seven tiers of meticulously executed carvings, including numerou seated apsara (dancing girl or celestial nymph).
And lastly but not least for that day, we went to Ta Prohm, mostly known as it was here where Tomb Raider (with Angelina Jolie) was filmed, so I'm sure you will recognise it in some of the photos. This temple feels like it fell straight out of a film set from Indiana Jones. This 12th century Mahayana Buddhist temple is one of the Angkorian era's largest edifices and has
Carvings on the floor of the West Entrance of AngkorCarvings on the floor of the West Entrance of AngkorCarvings on the floor of the West Entrance of Angkor

Detalles en el suelo en la entrada oeste de Angkor
been left much as it looked when the first French explorers set eyes on it more than a century ago. While other temples have been preserved with a massive programme to clear away the jungle, this one has been abandoned to nature and it's quite impressive with the trees coming out of the floor and strangleling the temple. According to inscriptions it took and incredible 80,000 people to maintain the building.
On the way back to the guesthouse, we catch up with Tracy again and went to the Old Marked to have a look. After that I passed out as I was very tired from getting up very early and all the walking we did that day.
The following day we started a little bit later, at 12, as we wanted to do the sunset at another temple. We first visited Bantey Kdei, another magnificent temple, before heading to Pre Rup, which looked like a pyramid made with very small red bricks. This one we could go to the top, and the views were spectacular.
Next on the way was Ta Som, a tiny temple, which eastern gate has been absolutely overwhelmed by an ancient tree that has sent its
West Entrance of AngkorWest Entrance of AngkorWest Entrance of Angkor

Entrada Oeste de Angkor
intrusive roots on a destructive mission. Praeh Neak Pean looks like the ultimate ornamental pond at a posh resort. Comprises a central tower set in a square pool and four smalle pools laid out symmetrically around the centre, each with an interestin subterranean carved fountain. We then visited Preah Khan (sacred Sword), which once housed more than 1000 teachers and may have been a buddhist university. Again it was another magnificent temple. I wish you were here to see what I'm seeing as it is sometimes difficult to descrive in words (hopefully the photos will help!). We then try, yes, I'm saying try, to watch the sunset at Phnom Bakeng, but even though the sun was still up (more or less) it was closed and the people were already coming back, so we were very dissapointed, but we would try again tomorrow! We don't give up that easily. We even thought of giving the guards some money so they would let us up, but we didn't at the end.

That night we went for dinner to the Temple bar as they had Apsara dancing, and we were both very interested in seeing the traditional khmer dance. It was amazing,
West Entrance of AngkorWest Entrance of AngkorWest Entrance of Angkor

Entrada oeste de Angkor
and the costumes incredibles. When it finished we just went downstairs to the bar where we had some cocktails and played pool with some really nice local girls (they are sooo good!).
It was our 3rd day to Angkor and the last so we started our day at Bantey Srei, the most beautiful of all temples I've seen even though is quite small. Bantey Srei is considered by many to be the jewel in Angkor's artistic crown, and as I discovered today, they are right. It is a small temple but the elaborate carvings that adorn the doorways and walls are the best I've seen here. This is due to the use of pink sandstone to build this temple. This is the temple of the goddesses.
From there we went back to Angkor Wat, this time entering from the east side (the actual entrance, as all the temples entrances face east). We were both still amazed at this place and took our time to appreciate it as much as we could, looking at all the fantastic carvings, everything.
Today we were determined to make sure we made it in time for the sunset, and even though it was cloudy we
Apsara Dancer in AngkorApsara Dancer in AngkorApsara Dancer in Angkor

Bailarina Apsara en Angkor
made our way to Phnom Bakheng, and it was worth it. The views were amazing and the sun came out of the clouds before dissapearing behind thin air (as a monk explained us the sun doesn't set in the horizon but dissapears before. We didn't believe him at first but then we saw it with our own eyes). There we meet a nice american guy, Otso, that we had dinner with in town that night.
The following day it was a very relaxing one as we deserve it after 3 days of walking all around in Angkor Wat. Renea and I visited the old market, the night market and the central market in the next days, and walk around this dusty town.
On the 9th of July I decided to leave Cambodia and go back to Thailand via bus. I was sad to leave Renea behind but I needed to move forward on my trip and get back to Thailand to continue my travels, but I was sure I would catch up with her again soon. This road should have been called the road from hell. I wouldn't even call it a road but a dusty path, and was even
Towers at AngkorTowers at AngkorTowers at Angkor

Torres en Angkor
worst as the night before it rained all night, so it was very muddy and as we had all the windows open (as no AC as promised) we were getting all the dust inside! The corridor of the bus was full of backpacks as they didn't have much space to store them for the trip, so everytime we stopped we had to climb all over them (thank god mine was in a good place). At the first stop I meet Jose, a peruvian guy travelling around Asia, and as he also wanted to go to Kanchanaburi we said to do it together. At the border we changed buses to a modern one with AC, thank God!



Renea y yo llegamos a Siem Riep el 1 de Julio por la tarde, y despues de check in en nuestro guest house nos fuimos directamente a cenar y probar mas platos tipicos de la comida Khmer.

Al dia siguiente tuvimos un temprano inicio (4.45am) con nuestro tuk-tuk, ya que queriamos ver el amanecer en Angkor Wat, ya que todo el mundo dice que es fantastico. Fue asi y mucho mas que no puedo describir con palabras. Por fin estaba en Angkor Wat!!!! Todavia no me puedo creer que no es una de las nuevas 7 maravillas del mundo (pense que era, pero cuando mire hoy la lista descubri que no era asi, increible). Este es el mas grande templo religioso del mundo. Fue construido por Suryavarman II (r1112-52) en honor a Vishnu, su dios patron, para uso como su templo funerario. Pensabamos que no habria muhca gente a esa hora de la manana, pero nos equivocamos, ya que habian cientos de personas esperando el mismo momento...el amanecer en Angkor Wat! Tranquilamente te puedes pasar horas aqui contemplando el templo, con todos sus detalles, los gravados en la piedra, las asuras (demonios), las devas (dioses), las nagas (serpientes con multiples cabezas), etc etc. Nuestro tuk-tuk nos llevo despues a Angkor Thom, que fue construido por el rey mas importante de Angkor, Jayavarman VII (r1181-1219). Detras de 5 monumentales puertas que marcan la entrada de la ciudad se encuentras unos monumentos muy importantes y estupendos incluyendo Bayon, La Terraza de los Elefantes, y la Terraza del Rey Leproso. Cuando llegamos alli una multitud de ninos vendiendo desde postales, brazaletes, etc empezaron a seguirnos y a pedir que les compraramos algo por
Inside Angkor WatInside Angkor WatInside Angkor Wat

Dentro de Angkor Wat
un dollar. Me partio el corazon ver a estos ninos asi, pidiendo en la calle, donde los padres les hacen hacer esto cuando deberian estar en la escuela (ellos siempre nos decian que iban a la escuela por la tarde). El problema es que habia tantos y tantos ninos y que ademas no tomaban un no por respuesta que hasta te siguen durante un rato a ver si caes. Al final siempre compras algo, pero desgraciadamente no puedes comprarles a todos. Empezamos en Bayon, un magnifico templo, que contiene 216 caras (de Avalokiteshvara) de piedra, asi que uno se siente como si lo estuvieran mirando todo el rato. Este templo fue construido alrededor del 1200 por Jayavarman VII en el exacto centro de la ciudad. Algunos historiadores creen que las caras son muy similares a las del mismo rey. Definitivamente es un templo de una belleza impresionante con unos grabados increibles. De ahi tuvimos que tomarnos un break y comer algo en alguno de los muchos puestos de comida. Yo me tome un coco fresco (como me gusta beberme el agua y luego comerme el coco!) Despues nos fuimos a la Terraza de los Elefantes, que solia ser usada como
Inside Angkor WatInside Angkor WatInside Angkor Wat

Dentro de Angkor Wat
un gigante stand para el rey ver las grandes ceremonias y desfiles, y tambien como gran hall de audiencia. Esta gran terraza de 300m de largo estaba originalmente cubierta de pavellones de madera decorados con grandes ventanales recubiertos de oro. La Terraza del Rey Leproso es otra plataforma de 6m de alto en lo alto de la cual hay una misteriosa estatua. Algunos creen que es Yama, el dios de la muerte, otros YAsovarman, el Khmer governante quien, dice la leyenda murio de lepra. Los muros delanteros estan decorados con 7 niveles de meticulosos grabados, incluyendo numerosas Apsaras (bailarinas). Por ultimo pero no menos importante, ese dia visitamos Ta Phrom, mas famosamente conocido porque fue aqui donde se rodo la pelicula Tomb Raider (con Angelina Jolie), asi que seguro que reconocereis algunas de las fotos. Este templo parece salido de una pelicula de Indiana Jones con todos los arboles saliendo del suelo y entrelazandose entre las piedras. Este templo budista Mahayana del siglo 12 es uno de los edificios mas grandes de la epoca Angkoriana y ha sido dejado como se lo encontraron los primeros exploradores franceses que lo encontraron mas de un siglo atras. Mientras otros demplos han sido preservados gracias a un programa de conservacion y de limpieza de la jungla, este ha sido abandonado a la naturaleza y es bastante impresionante ver los arboles saliendo del suelo y estrangulando las piedras del templo. Segun las inscripciones mas de 80,000 personas trabajaron aqui para mantener este templo. Increible! De camino de vuelta paramos a ver a Tracy y nos fuimos al mercado antiguo a echar un vistazo. De ahi nos fuimos de vuelta al hotel y yo como estaba tan cansada despues de levantarnos tan pronto y andar casi todo el dia me fui a dormir bien temprano.
Al dia siguiente decidimos empezar nuestra ruta por Angkor un poco mas tarde, sobre las 12 del mediodia, ya que queriamos ver la puesta de sol desde otro de los teplos. Primero visitamos Bantey Kdei, otro magnifico templo, y de ahi a Pre Rup, que parecia como una gran piramide echa con pequenos ladrillos rojos. A este templo se podia subir hasta arriba y las vistas desde ahi eran preciosas. El siguiente fue Ta Som, un pequeno templo, al cual la puerta del este ha sido totalmente absorvida por un antiguo arbol, el cual ha enviado todas sus raices en una mision destructiva. Praeh Neak Pean parece unos lagos ornamentales de un hotel de lujo. Hay una torre central con 4 pequenas piscinas situadas simetricamente alrededor del centro, cada una de ellas con una interesante fuente subterranea. Tambien visitamos Preah Khan (espada sagrada), que fue una vez la casa de mas de 1000 profesores y se cree que podria haber sido una universidad budista. De nuevo otro magnifico templo. Ojala pudierais estar aqui y verlos, ya que a veces es dificil describirlos con palabras (pero espero que las fotos ayuden). Despues intentamos ver la puesta de sol en Phnom Bakeng, pero como llegamos tarde (ya que cerraban la entrada a las 5.30, y eso que todavia habia sol) nos tuvimos que volver a casa desanimadas, pero bueno todavia nos quedaba un dia mas, asi que lo volveriamos a intentar al dia siguiente. No nos damos por vencidas tan facilmente. Incluso pensamos en sobornar a los guardas con algo de dinero, pero lo pensamos mejor y no lo hicimos.
Esa noche Renea y yo nos fuimos a cenar al Templo, un bar restaurante que tiene show todas las noches de Apsara (el baile tipico de la epoca Khmer). Fue increible y los vestidos que llevan son maravillosos. De ahi nos fuimos al bar abajo a tomar unos cockteles y a jugar al billar con unas chicas de Siem Riep.
Era nuestro 3r y ultimo dia en Angkor , asi que empezamos en Bantey Srei (el templo de las diosas), el mas bonito de los templos que nunca he visto, considerando que es bastante pequeno. Este es considerado por muchos la joya artistica de la corona de Angkor, y como pude comprobar hoy, tienen razon. Es pequeno, pero tiene unos grabados tan elaborados que adornan la puertas y las paredes, como nunca he visto. Esto es debido a que este templo esta construido con una piedra rosada muy dura. De ahi quisimos visitar de nuevo Angkor Wat, pero esta vez entrando por la puerta principal como se construyo, o sea, por el este (como todos los templos las entradas estan situadas al este). Las dos estabamos todavia maravilladas con la belleza de este lugar que quisimos tomarnos nuestro tiempo y explorarlo de nuevo y ver algunos detalls que no habiamos visto en nuestra primera visita. Hoy estabamos determinadas a ver la puesta de sol, asi que aunque estaba nublado nos dirijimos a
West Entrance of AngkorWest Entrance of AngkorWest Entrance of Angkor

Entrada Oeste de Angkor
Phnom Bakheng, y merecio la pena!!!. Las vistas eran increibles y cuando el sol aparecio detras de las nuves, al cabo de un rato desaparecio en el aire, y no en el horizonte. Como nos habia explicado un monje, el sol no desparece en el horizonte sino que lo hace antes. Al principio no lo creimos pero luego lo vimos con nuestros propios ojos. Ahi conocimos a Otso, un chico americano muy majo, y los 3 nos fuimos a cenar en el pueblo esa noche.
Al dia siguiente las dos nos relajamos un poco, y creo que merecidamente despues de andar durante 3 dias por los templos de Angkor Wat. Renea y yo en los siguientes dias visitamos el mercado viejo, el mercado en la noche, y el mercado central, en busca de algunos regalitos, y paseamos por esta ciudad bastante polvorienta.

El dia 9 de Julio decidi dejar Cambodia y volver a Tailandia en autobus. Estaba triste por dejar atras a Renea, pero yo necesitaba volver a Tailandia y seguir con mi viaje, pero sabia que volveria a encontrarme con ella bien pronto en algun lugar. La carretera debia haberse llamado la carretera del infierno.. Es que ni
Monkeys at AngkorMonkeys at AngkorMonkeys at Angkor

monos en Angkor Wat
siquiera se puede llamar carretera, mas bien un camino de barro y polvo. Teniamos todas las ventanas abiertas (ya que no habia AC como nos habian dicho), asi que ibamos respirando todo el polvo de la carretera. Mi ropa y yo nos volvimos marrones del polvo. El pasillo del autobus estaba lleno de las mochilas de la gente ya que no habia suficiente espacio en la parte trasera, asi que cada vez que teniamos que bajarnos, teniamos que escalar entre las mochilas (menos mal la mia no estaba ahi). Ahi conoci a Jose, un peruano que esta viajando por Asia antes de volver a casa, y como los dos queriamos ir a Kanchanaburi, decidimos hacerlo juntos. En la frontera cambiamos de autobus a uno mas moderno y con AC!





Additional photos below
Photos: 139, Displayed: 34


Advertisement

carvings at Angkor Watcarvings at Angkor Wat
carvings at Angkor Wat

grabados en Angkor Wat
Renea and I at the entrance of Angkor ThomRenea and I at the entrance of Angkor Thom
Renea and I at the entrance of Angkor Thom

Renea y yo en la entrada de Angkor Thom.


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb