Cambodge


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 11th 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

DustDustDust

Anybody? No? Dust...
We arrive in Siem Reap after a long, dusty day haggling for taxis and sneaking around at the border to try and get cheaper transport. In the end we managed to get a cab with two Swedish guys. The journey was hell on the worst road in the world.

Jocke and Jhamfoy stayed at the same hostel as us in Siem Reap so we got into some of the local brew and sampled the best of Northern Cambodian nightlife. Our room was so cheap, it even came with a shared bathroom that doubled as a mosquitoes nest.

We started our Cambodian education with a trip to the land-mine museum that a local fella has set up to raise funds for de-mining the countryside. Amazing stuff- and great to see someone getting it done without fuss.

In case our temple exploring in India was becoming too distant a memory, Angkor did the trick. There are loads of temples everywhere in Cambodia and the remnants of the Angkor city top them all. We only managed one day of touring- but we were still stiff the next day!

For the rest of our time here we decided to buy a
Cool SwedesCool SwedesCool Swedes

These guys were well cool, and they won at pool!
few of books about the khmer Rouge off the local kids and read them all day with a beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Jocke. Finished?Jocke. Finished?
Jocke. Finished?

No Swedish.
Mr Aki RaMr Aki Ra
Mr Aki Ra

This dude goes round diffusing loads of mines with his team (100 a day!) and pays them $30 a month. The US land mine association charges $1000 per mine for their team.
Mines!Mines!
Mines!

Loads of land mines.
Book boysBook boys
Book boys

These little guys sell books to help support their families and pay for school.
Angkor Wat?Angkor Wat?
Angkor Wat?

This temple is a beast! The biggest religious building.
Crazy steep steps!Crazy steep steps!
Crazy steep steps!

These are terrifying.
Ta PhromTa Phrom
Ta Phrom

This temple has loads of trees growing on it.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb