The Temples of Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
January 14th 2011
Published: January 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello all!

Today we set out to explore the Temples of Angkor - a UNESCO world heritage site boasting over one thousand temples in varying states of repair. Our original plan was to get up super early and watch the sunrise over Angkor Wat (the largest and most famous temple) but after a few drinks the night before we decided it would be best to ignore the alarm! However, after finally dragging ourselves out of bed, we hired some bikes and eventually hit the road out to Angkor!

After cycling for an hour or so we arrived at the Angkor Wat temple - an absolutely huge stone structure surrounded by a vast flooded moat - kodak moment if ever there was one! After resisting the urge to nudge each other into the murky moat water we spent the next few hours exploring around the site. We even had the privelage of watching a local Cambodian couple get married in front of the temple! We then hopped back on our bikes and discovered several more colossal buildings in the surrounding area. The most spectacular of all was a temple called Ta Prohm - a huge crumbling ruin with trees growing out of its roof and surrounded by thick jungle. We felt like we were on the set of an Indiana Jones movie!

After finally growing weary of these stunning structures, we made our way back to Siem Reap and checked in at Happy Guest House - an aptly named establishment run by without doubt the cheeriest Cambodian family we have ever met! Later that evening we treated ourselves to cheesburgers and chips for dinner - seriously we felt we had earned it after a long day of playing the culture vultures! We even went all out and munched on some apple pie and ice cream before rolling our way back to Happy's for an early night.

Tomorrow we are up sharp and heading for Cambodias capital Phnom Penh. Will no doubt let you know how it goes!

Love to all back home,

James and Claire x


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cheeseburgers!!Cheeseburgers!!
Cheeseburgers!!

Taking a raincheck from the Cambodian Cuisine...


29th January 2011

awesome......love it....u peeps are living IT :-)

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb