Background: Most Cambodians consider themselves to be Khmers, whose Angkor Empire extended over much of Southeast Asia and reached its zenith between the 10th and 13th centuries. Subsequently, attacks by the Thai and Cham (from present-day Vietnam) weakened the empire ushering in a long period of decline. In 1863, the king of Cambodia placed the country under French protection; it became part of French Indochina in 1887. Following Japanese occupation in World War II, Cambodia became independent within the French Union in 1949 and fully independent in 1953. After a five-year struggle, Communist Khmer Rouge forces captured Phnom Penh in April 1975 and ordered the evacuation of all cities and towns; at least 1.5 million Cambodians died from execution, enforced hardships, or starvation during the Khmer Rouge regime under POL POT. A December 1978 Vietnamese invasion drove the Khmer Rouge into the countryside, led to a 10-year Vietnamese occupation, and touched off almost 13 years of civil war. The 1991 Paris Peace Accords mandated democratic elections and a ceasefire, which was not fully respected by the Khmer Rouge. UN-sponsored elections in 1993 helped restore some semblance of normalcy and the final elements of the Khmer Rouge surrendered in early 1999. Factional fighting in 1997 ended the first coalition government, but a second round of national elections in 1998 led to the formation of another coalition government and renewed political stability. The July 2003 elections were relatively peaceful, but it took one year of negotiations between contending political parties before a coalition government was formed. Nation-wide local elections are scheduled for 2007 and national elections for 2008.
Blogs from Kratié
Latest Blogs from Kratié
- August 17th 2013 How Do You Get out of Kratie?
by Words: 2281 Photos: 9
- May 14th 2013 My trip to Kratie
by Words: 774 Photos: 18
- March 5th 2013 In search of dolphins
by Words: 1223 Photos: 48
- March 5th 2013 The Cambodian Wild East, Dolphin Spotting, Waterfalls, 1 nearly 2 RTC's. It had it all !!
by Words: 1941 Photos: 20
- March 2nd 2013 Kratie Hop
by Words: 1618 Photos: 38
- December 14th 2012 Snubby nosed dolphins, a Cambodian con man and West world meets Butlins.
by Words: 2012 Photos: 7
- March 11th 2012 Far away from it all....
by Words: 962 Photos: 16
- July 8th 2011 Of Showaddawaddy dolphins and flesh wounds....
by Words: 1406 Photos: 25
- June 10th 2011 Kratie - interesting little place
by Words: 885 Photos: 4
- April 4th 2011 Kratie
by Words: 747 Photos: 0
- February 23rd 2011 Dolphin Watching
by Words: 752 Photos: 11
- January 29th 2011 Kompong Cham & Kratie
by Words: 428 Photos: 15
- January 27th 2011 Memories are made of this
by Words: 2857 Photos: 0
- January 13th 2011 Theme day
by Words: 515 Photos: 10
- January 12th 2011 Along the road to Kratie
by Words: 311 Photos: 6
- January 11th 2011 Sleep is highly over rated
by Words: 911 Photos: 5
- October 16th 2010 The Road to Phnom Penh
by Words: 1592 Photos: 11
- October 5th 2010 Kampong Cham and Kratie
by Words: 1000 Photos: 17
- May 22nd 2010 Dolphins and inadvertent world record attempt involving minivan.
by Words: 489 Photos: 11
- March 20th 2010 Lucky way round.....
by Words: 1635 Photos: 34