Monks & English on the Mekong


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » East » Kampong Cham
November 16th 2007
Published: November 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving the packed area of Angkor & Siem Reap, we made the 6 hour drive to Kampong Cham along the Mekong River. This stop was basically a mid-way point towards the coast so there wouldn't be any too exciting here. We made the trip using public transport which was interesting. Because many of the cars don't have side/rear view mirrors, drivers honk when passing. We had the front seats and were subjected to 6 hours of honking every 30 seconds and Cambodian karaoke tapes on the TV.

We only had the afternoon to explore and I made the trip to a small island in the middle of the Mekong River where 7,000 people live. We were visiting a pagoda where some monks live and teach young children English. We'd assist in the days lesson for 12-18 year olds. We took a "ferry" to get there and then road our bikes. It was actually a very upscale area which is surprising to see in Cambodia. We met the monks and the children all of us soon found out we were not meant to be teachers. We all spoke too quickly, used complicated words and asked off the wall questions. It was very tough trying to hold conversations with a large class who speak English as a second language. They were all fascinated about America and I eventually just told people I was from California to make things easier.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Frogs & SpidersFrogs & Spiders
Frogs & Spiders

For sale at road side shop


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb