Background: Most Cambodians consider themselves to be Khmers, whose Angkor Empire extended over much of Southeast Asia and reached its zenith between the 10th and 13th centuries. Subsequently, attacks by the Thai and Cham (from present-day Vietnam) weakened the empire ushering in a long period of decline. In 1863, the king of Cambodia placed the country under French protection; it became part of French Indochina in 1887. Following Japanese occupation in World War II, Cambodia became independent within the French Union in 1949 and fully independent in 1953. After a five-year struggle, Communist Khmer Rouge forces captured Phnom Penh in April 1975 and ordered the evacuation of all cities and towns; at least 1.5 million Cambodians died from execution, enforced hardships, or starvation during the Khmer Rouge regime under POL POT. A December 1978 Vietnamese invasion drove the Khmer Rouge into the countryside, led to a 10-year Vietnamese occupation, and touched off almost 13 years of civil war. The 1991 Paris Peace Accords mandated democratic elections and a ceasefire, which was not fully respected by the Khmer Rouge. UN-sponsored elections in 1993 helped restore some semblance of normalcy and the final elements of the Khmer Rouge surrendered in early 1999. Factional fighting in 1997 ended the first coalition government, but a second round of national elections in 1998 led to the formation of another coalition government and renewed political stability. The July 2003 elections were relatively peaceful, but it took one year of negotiations between contending political parties before a coalition government was formed. Nation-wide local elections are scheduled for 2007 and national elections for 2008.
Photos from Kampong Cham
Blogs from Kampong Cham
Latest Blogs from Kampong Cham
- February 17th 2012 Realiteit, een hallucinatie veroorzaakt door een tekort aan van alles in de bloedbaan...
by Words: 1329 Photos: 5
- September 5th 2011 La vie rurale de Kampong Cham
by Words: 706 Photos: 39
- September 1st 2011 Unnoetige Fahrten
by Words: 486 Photos: 0
- March 26th 2011 St Paddy's Day, Phnom Penh, Homestay & Moto's
by Words: 1772 Photos: 5
- March 12th 2011 Laters, Kompang Cham
by Words: 304 Photos: 3
- February 28th 2011 Tuk-Tuk Trip!
by Words: 1219 Photos: 25
- February 24th 2011 The Arts Save Cambodia's Kids
by Words: 489 Photos: 5
- February 20th 2011 My New Lady
by Words: 295 Photos: 2
- February 20th 2011 Language Training
by Words: 570 Photos: 1
- February 17th 2011 Kompang Cham
by Words: 526 Photos: 0
- January 16th 2011 An odd day
by Words: 672 Photos: 9
- January 15th 2011 shhh don't tell Nathalie I posted this!
by Words: 755 Photos: 8
- September 25th 2010 Kompong Cham
by Words: 461 Photos: 2
- March 19th 2010 man down
by Words: 696 Photos: 38
- November 4th 2009 Exercise!
by Words: 546 Photos: 8
- May 22nd 2009 Crossing into Cambodia
by Words: 442 Photos: 8
- May 10th 2009 Kampong Cham
by Words: 189 Photos: 10
- April 18th 2009 khmer new year!
by Words: 3634 Photos: 0
- March 23rd 2009 Thok Narith
by Words: 10 Photos: 1
- February 25th 2009 Kampong Cham and the Bamboo Bridge
by Words: 5 Photos: 29