Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » Central
May 1st 2014
Published: May 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early that morning, Matt went to find somewhere else to stay while I packed up, as we had heard that other hotels down the road offered free laundry and we were getting quite desperate for clean clothes. It didn't take long to find another place just a couple of buildings down.
After moving our bags we found the tuk tuk driver we met the night before who was taking us around for the day, Stone he calls himself.
Our first stop was the S21 genocide museum, it was created on orders of Pol Pot in the Khmer Rough regime designed for detention, interrogation, inhuman torture and killing after confession from the detainees were received and documented. It was horrific what the people went through there, we saw the tiny cells they were held in, the torture rooms, in some of the rooms it had photos of each of the prisoners faces, which made it all seem a lot more real. It was very interesting. It is also hard to believe how recent it all actually was, the guy who was taking us around, Stone, had lost a lot of his family during the Khmer Rouge regime including aunty's, uncles etc.
Next stop was the Choeung EK Genocidal Centre, the killing fields which was about an half hour drive out of the city. We had an audio tour around the killing fields seeing the mass grave pits, and learning about what was found when they discovered the area and found out what had been going on there.
It was again very interesting and you just can't imagine what the people went through.
After this we headed to central market in the city to have some lunch. It was massive, selling everything, clothes, food, jewellery, household appliances, everything!
We had noodle soup for lunch then went your last stop, one of the temples in the city, Stone was telling us that this temple meant a lot to the local people, it was in the middle of a big park and was very beautiful with a long flight of stairs up to it.
That concluded our day city tour so we went back to our room to relax for a little bit.
That evening we walked to the riverside which was pretty at night time and very busy, lots of stalls, some selling cooked bugs and insects!!
We had dinner along there and after getting a little bit lost, well quite a lot lost we managed to find our way back to the hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb