More adventures in Ngapali


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Western Burma » Ngapali
February 3rd 2013
Published: February 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sat Jan 12 2013

Last full day at Ngapali Beach. It' s surprising how many adventures we can experience at a beach where "there's really nothing to do"!Today we walked along beach toward south. When we came to the spot where the river meets the sea, we thought we could just wade across, but it was deeper and faster moving than we first thought. Sure enough, a boy came along in a small boat and for a couple hundred KT he poled us across; then we carried on walking along beach.

Had pleasant lunch at a basic eatery on the beach, then rode Motorola-taxi back (like a motorcycle with a large cab attached). We crowded in with about 4 other passengers, along with a large basket of fish and shells to stink up cab!Nap.

Talked with an interesting French couple. She is a Jewish Parisian; he, an Algerian Arab. Invited them + NZ girl at the next table to join us for dinner. Took cab-truck-taxi to Pleasant View at far south end of beach where restaurant is on island. Rubber boat poled us over to restaurant, 3 at a time. We had brought along our last bottle of red wine to share. bought a white to compliment it. Good seafood dinner. Motor boat back (tide had come up); deluxe cab back to hotel. One of our more unusual evenings out!

I am rather sorry not to have gone swimming the whole time. R went in once on the first day, but it has been cool, especially in mornings. I've had all my warm clothes on until about noon when it warms up. I have loved being here right on the beach.

Sun Jan 13 2013

Up about 7.00 for breakfast before leaving for airport. The same rough truck that brought us took us to the airport.

On arriving in Yangon we found that our flight to Bagan was not listed. 2 Air KBZ officials came and apologized, saying that they had transferred us on to a flight leaving tomorrow morning at 6 am. We protested, saying we had a hotel booked tonight in Bagan--had to get there today, etc. We must have used the right tone of voice (pleasant, but insistent) because they took us to the classy lounge, gave us coffee, newspaper while they arranged a hotel (complimentary) near the airport and even phoned our hotel in Bagan to explain the delay. They then accompanied us in a van to nearby hotel, Seasons ( not to be confused with the Four Seasons Hotel!). Checked us in so we would not have to pay. Basic, but OK for 1 night.

Found decent restaurant for lunch. Decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner at Cafe Dibar where we had eaten well before --at least a consolation. Had Italian wine again--cheaper by the glass. Large glass for 2,000 KT; bottle 12,000 KT. Go figure.Tomorrow, it's up by 5.00 am, take out breakfast box, and back to the airport to fly to Bagan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb