Inle Lake Area


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Inle Lake
March 14th 2014
Published: March 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Oh boy ...Inle lake area was a great place to visit . The town of Nyaungshwe was a bit of a backbackers hang out . There were some good restaurants , great food choices , and an easy ambiance . The lake itself (21 km x 11km ) was 4 km away reached via a channel/river . The whole area had waterways of different sizes . We spent 2 days with water excursions , 1 day trekking and a 4th day with a car and driver . Needless to say it is hard to narrow down the pics but I have chosen these . Let me know what you think.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

FishingFishing
Fishing

The boys , who were wearing longi , were using them to catch fish !
Morning ViewMorning View
Morning View

From the terrace where we had Breakfast at the "Teak Wood House" in Nyaungshwe . It was only about 12C so the morning mist and the smoky haze created a beautiful scene.
Morning alms timeMorning alms time
Morning alms time

There were 4 monasteries in town . Two of them were for women . Only in Burma are there women monks.
Channel to InleChannel to Inle
Channel to Inle

It was a 4 km journey to the lake and it was really cold!!All things are relative right .
Leg rowingLeg rowing
Leg rowing

I think this may be one of my favourite shots.
Maybe this one is betterMaybe this one is better
Maybe this one is better

Do click to enlarge this photo . You will be able to see how he has used his body to hold the oar from his armpit to his knee and ankle . IT leaves his hands free to enable him to deal with his net .
Morning Haze Morning Haze
Morning Haze

The lake is surrounded by "mountains" .Burma has several mountain ranges.
Stilt town Stilt town
Stilt town

There are 6 towns and many villages around the lake . Most houses are on stilts , built of bamboo or, if one was rich enough wood would be used.
Lotus SilkLotus Silk
Lotus Silk

She has removed the threads that are in the stalk of the lotus and twists them , connecting them by twisting the ends together . The cloth is produced in the end i very soft and feels a bit soapy .
Motor boats of InleMotor boats of Inle
Motor boats of Inle

Ours was the middle boat . We booked the boat and guide for the day 8-5 pm for $40 , That seemed to be the standard cost for a day's excursion...boats ,taxies ,horse and buggy...
ProductsProducts
Products

The weavers also worked with silk , a cotton-silk blend and just pane cotton. I liked that place!
Making CherootsMaking Cheroots
Making Cheroots

Hand rolled of course . They have 2 kinds . Normal tobacco and Sweet which includes honey ,cinamon and assorted fruit fiber including banana. We were encouraged to try them and I must say the first drag was wonderful!!! but my tongue tasted so awful after I think I have finally broken the tobacco addiction
Bathing...Bathing...
Bathing...

your water buffalo !
Decomposing stupasDecomposing stupas
Decomposing stupas

At Inthein , a lovely little on the shores town ,was this vast area of ruins . Don't know why they were in this state.
ReconstuctionReconstuction
Reconstuction

A fair amount of this was occurring
Floating GardensFloating Gardens
Floating Gardens

Truely amazing .Weeds and rooots bundled together , Secured with bamboo poles, then layered with lake bottom dirt , moss and planted . The beds were about a meter thick and floated up and down the poles with the level of the water.
Sleeping roomSleeping room
Sleeping room

I am guessing that the colth is for privacy as well as protection from Mosquitoes
Our HostessOur Hostess
Our Hostess

This is the "living" room where we had lunch while on the trek ($40).The house was on stilts .We walked up the stairs to this room where we rested and then had lunch . The door to the sleeping room was openned a bit which is ow I got that photo.
My RewardMy Reward
My Reward

The wine was quite good and spending the day with Pedro and Fabio from Brazil was fun as well .
Last stage Road BuildingLast stage Road Building
Last stage Road Building

He is pouring hot asphalt
VineyardVineyard
Vineyard

A second vineyard . There are 2 in the area . One German and one French . Of course we visited and sampled the wine at both .
Leaving InleLeaving Inle
Leaving Inle

On the way to the airport at 7am .A great shot that reminds me so much of the calmness in that part of the world .


15th March 2014

Lovely!
It does look peaceful. Some great pics. Tks for sharing. love,
15th March 2014

The fisherman shots were fun, but I really love the shot of the three boats (yours in the middle). The colour and composition is just lovely. Thanks for sharing these, Pam.
17th March 2014

So much to see
These are lovely photos, Pamela. My favorites so far are the morning mist shots, very peaceful. Everything looks so clean.
24th March 2014

I enjoyed each single one of them, love the comments underneath each picture!

Tot: 0.376s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb